Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 Clients having trouble logging on to W2k Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcny

Programmer
Feb 26, 2002
US
This is an intermittent problem but becoming more of a pain. Users try to log on to the network and get the error "The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied. I know these passwords are correct even reset them. After multiple reboots, sometimes it will finally work. These are win98 clients, win2k server.

I did find the article Q260399 from Microsoft which deals with this problem with clients using IPX, which we do not use, we use TCP/IP only. I did try disabling directhost as recommended in the article but it only worked on two pcs, did not help on the other. It took me three hours to log on today finally after many reboots and resetting of the password I finally got it. Wouldn't accept my admin password either. Any ideas?? We are afraid to log off for fear we will never get back on.

Hello,

I have some Win98 clients that occasionally lose their access to the w2k server. They can log on to the server just fine, but then they get bumped off once in a while (one or two times a day). Users see an 'access denied' message when they try to open their files on the server. Logging the clients off and back on reestablishes access. This problem is not occuring with xp and w2k pro clients. I have IPX on this network as we are transitioning from Novell. The Win98 clients have the active directory client installed.

Hello,

I have some Win98 clients that occasionally lose their access to the w2k server. They can log on to the server just fine, but then they get bumped off once in a while (one or two times a day). Users see an 'access denied' message when they try to open their files on the server. Logging the clients off and back on reestablishes access. This problem is not occuring with xp and w2k pro clients. I have IPX on this network as we are transitioning from Novell. The Win98 clients have the active directory client installed.

You may want to look at Article Q260399 from Microsoft, which talks about disabling direct hosting on the Win98 clients running IPX. See if it solves your problem :)

We've brought a network administrator in from one of our software suppliers to have a look at our network.

We were having trouble with the network until we did a replication of the DC to try and get it off the server. The replication essentially fixed the DNS settings on the original DC, and, with WINS installed and now functioning fine and the PDC being emulated, our 9x machines are now fine.

Not only that, but with DNS and WINS on our remote servers, the network has sped up because we don't have DNS and WINS traffic going over the radio links.

Cheers.

We have been using Win2K server for over a year and a half, and everything was working perfectly. Then, suddenly, none of our Win98 clients would log on. I made no changes to the server configuration or the clients. They are receiving valid IP addresses (we use DHCP), and I can ping our server and the proxy server, but whenever I try to log in, I get that same error: "The domain password you supplied is not correct, or access to your logon server has been denied". We do not run a web server or an exchange server, and we use only TCP/IP (no IPX). Win2K and WinXP machines work fine. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks

lstSgtMcDonald - Great! I am glad it worked, took me over a week to resolve my issue. Seems as though there are many different issues related to this same problem!!

triangleman - is your server set to replicate with another server on your network? Are there any errors in your Event Log?

triangleman, check the servers nic for sending or recieving bad broadcasts. I had the exact same problem that turned out to be the nic. One day users could log on, the next day they couldn't. Nic sending bad broadcasts. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

I'm also having the same problem but multiply it by 500....I've been having this 'issue' since we went to Win2k servers. I've tried; LMHOST files with a DC entry, Dsclient patches installed on the win98 workstations, 2 hot fixes from Microsoft. We're only running TCP/IP since I found out that IPX and NetBEUI can be too chatty. However, I now have a new twist now; we are a DHCP based network but now my win98 clients aren't getting the correct subnet mask which intensifies the connectivity issue. When I release and renew it picks up the right one until the lease expires. My next hope is to run a start up script with a net use commmand to connect to the shared resources on the servers. Any other ideas would be most helpful.

hello, just enabled protocol netBEUI in all 98 clients machine and restart them. if the server the not performing rule domain controller so some users face problem when 98 clients r access folder of win2k message will alert (ask password or acess denied) the finished this message, just right click on my computer and select manage, after open the window of computer management, click on local users and group and select users and when u point users just see on the right side pane of page users list, there is a guest users are disabled jus right click on it and go properties and enabled this account.....i hope its helpful for u

there is a guest users are disabled jus right click on it and go properties and enabled this account.....i hope its helpful for u
It is not common practice to enable the guest account. If you are still having problems, let us know. Give us a little more info about what your network is like, and what the problem is. Thanks. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Our server is not repicating with any others, and I haven't seen any errors in the log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back