Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 clients connecting to Windows XP SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazgulero

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2003
NL
Hello all,

I have a small network with 3 Windows 98 SE and 1 Windows XP SP1 machine, on which I am trying to share files and folders. Connecting from the XP to the 98 clients works fine, but when I connect from the 98 machines to the XP machine, I get prompted for a password, although I never configured one...
Can´t really figure it out, maybe somebody has an idea ?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Naz

On the XP box, go to the Explorer, click on c:\, right click, properties. Click on the sharing tab. Instructions are there. Drag the folder(s) you want to share into 'Shared Folders'.

Getting answers before I'm asked.
Providing answers if I can.

To connect to WinXP shared folder from Win98 you should logon to Win98 with username and password which exist on this WinXP computer. In fact you should make account on WinXP computer for every Win98 user who will connect to this PC.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Just enable simplified sharing on the XP machine. Then share your drives/folders. Should then be available in 98 without password prompt (or take karlisi's advice). Just wondering exactly what you have done on the XP machine regarding sharing (presuming its XP Pro - if its Home, then you can't have shared anything at all).

Hello,

thanks for all your help, great. Creating the username on the Windows 98 and XP machine solved the issue. I am not really sure how they are related, but it works...

Thanks again everybody.

Naz

Some explanations. Windows XP allows only authorized connections from network. So, when you connect to share which resides on WinXP computer (I will call here it 'server') from another PC (this will be 'client'), server (WinXP) asks client for username and password. At first client sends logged in user's username and password to server. Server checks in local users database if there is this user and if password is correct.
If yes, access is granted.
If not, server asks client for username and password again. In this case, if client is WinXP or Win2000, you see on client's screen dialog asking for username and password to connect to share. If you enter in this dialog username and password which is known on server, access will be granted. If not, you will be prompted again.
Unfortunately, if user is logged on to Win9x client with username and password not known on server, client cannot interpret server's second request properly and asks user only for password for IPC$ which don't works. The only way is to logon to Win9x with username and password which is known on WinXP server.

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back