Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 - can't find modem when trying to dial out

Status
Not open for further replies.

laker42

Programmer
Feb 11, 2003
US
Older Compaq machine with Windows 98 just reloaded on it. I put in a US Robotics 56k winmodem. Windows 98 finds it and I installed the driver for it, no problem. I go to set up a internet connection and when it trys to dial out, it says that the modem cannot be found or that the port is already open. I go into device manager and it shows that I have a com port 1. Under the modem properties, it shows that it is using com port 2. Should i change the modem to use com port 1 and will it clear up the problems I am having? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!
JOhn

Sorry the modem is a US Robotics 56k VoiceWin modem.

John

usually not necessary;
What are your BIOS COM port settings? (prolly not do important though maybe)

If using IE...go to Internet Options > Connections and
- make sure the connection you're trying to establish is listed AND that -
- "always dial my default connection" is ticked - unless using AOL, MSN or similar (tthen "never dial a connection").
Also there LAN settings = Auto detect
- Advanced button = Auto detect

Do you have a phone / fax sotware program open?? ...that'll cause the error

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

I don't have any phone/fax software installed so that can't be open. I will have to check the IE options that you listed. Another piece of info, when I go into control panel and under modems. It lists the modem installed. When I click on modem diagnostics and then on more info, it returns all the info for the modem so it should be installed correctly. At least according to the Win 98 help.

Thanks!
John

understood....very nice
you may need to change to COM 1, but it (any winmodem) actually uses a Virtual Port it creates by VCOMM.

Make sure your BIOS COMs are set to AUTO

check My Computer > Dialup Networking Folder for old dialup entries/ connections and delete....and use the wizard to make a (click on) New Connection, and enter the info (you'll need the ISP specific info and username and password)...if you mess up, just delete that connection.
Reboot
Empty your Temporary Internet Files, History, Temp, and Recent folders...all in \WINDOWS

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Thanks for the help. Last night I deleted the old connection and created a new one. It then dialed out. Not sure exactly what caused the problem but oh well. It works!

Thanks again!
John

laker42;
[rockband]
we're dancin' now.
joy at last

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back