Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98 boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kogg

Programmer
Jun 7, 2003
GB
Hello all
I have win98 on my system, problem is I tried installing office 2000 and now it boots up to the desktop but there is nothing there, no start menu no icon nothing.

Any ideas how to fix this piss pot operating system would be appreciated

Try this:

Boot in safe mode. Uninstall Office2k. Restart. Install Office 97.

Good Luck §;O)

Jakob

Thank for the tip. One slight problem though, I dont have office 97.

I have uninstalled office 2k though, but still the same blank desktop.

First of all...your taskbar is probably there...just at coordinates that are off the display, cause of the change to 16 color VGA resolution in safe mode....Once booted to Safemode...Hit CTRL+ESC to see if that accesses the start menu which should invoke the taskbar.
If you can boot normal....do diagnostics from there as you'll need the protected mode drivers loaded to find the conflict
Try Scandisk
Also the Desktop Icons issue could be Active Desktop...and/or the ShellIconCache file....

Right click blank area of desktop..in the sub-menu under Active Desktop..."uncheck" view as web page.....

Also in the same sub-menu..choose properties>Effects tab...uncheck "Hide desktop icons when viewed as a web page"

Once you can see the taskbar....Right click in a blank area...choose properties...uncheck Autohide

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Hi
I have no trouble booting to safe mode. I have tried scandisk, the system wont let me access the registry through regedit either.

Kogg,
you arent by any chance a mac user like me. and failing desperately to understand why anyone would buy a windows based PC in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back