Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 98/2000 peer to peer weird problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedees

Technical User
Jan 19, 2002
US
I have a network of 2 Windows 2000 Pro and 3 Windows 98 SE machines on a switch peer to peer. Under "control panel/network/access control" I have it checked to user level access to one of my windows 2000 machines.

For almost 1-1/2 years i've run the network this way. All of the sudden I cannot get ANY of the Windows 98 machines to share with each other. If a w2k accesses the c drive of a w98se I can see the files, but if a w98se accesses a w98se I can see in Network Neighborhood and I can "see" the peripherals that are shared....but when I click on the c drive I get "access denied". In my w98se computer under c drive sharing I have a list of persons from the w2k machine and all those persons, including Guest are included to share the resources.

Has someone run into this? Is there a guru who can tell me what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Tedees

I encountered a similar error before on a smaller network. (between 2 98se's) All I did was disable and reenable file and print sharing and it seemed to work. I have no Idea what caused it, just one day it stopped working.

In the event that it's not the file/print sharing, if you haven't already, try reseting (unplug/replug for simple switch) your switch or re-arranging where these pc's are plugged in. Possibly your switch went bad on these ports. If you still have trouble with the Win98 PC's this is not the case.

GrmpyGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back