Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 95b + USB card reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehinkleman

Programmer
Feb 14, 2002
NZ
Can anyone recommend an all purpose card reader for Windows 95b? I had an Apacer Compact Flash reader that worked fine in Windows 95b, but I sent that reader, and Coolpix 775 camera, overseas to a lady who ties trout flies for me. The camera was stolen from her, and I might ask for the reader back, but ability to read SD and other cards would be best, because I want to give away the old machine, which is quick with Windows 95.
I tried an unbranded all-purpose reader, but driver v2.2(from a mini-CD)and versions 2.0 and 2.3 (from downloads) all produce a yellow flag and 'device failure' in Device Manager, no new 'drives' found, and a taskbar icon 'Disk Monitor' with no obvious effect.
Windows 95 seemed OK with the .inf file and usbcrdrv.sys, which was copied to c:\windows\system32\Drivers, and I used the 'setup.exe' program, but can't make it work.
I also tried copying usbcrdrv.sys to c:\windows\system.
Is another step needed?
Thanks for your advice.

windows 95 a&b did not support usb. The c version which appeared in 1997 had some limited usb support. If you have 95, you need more than just a driver for usb support, and I doubt there's been incentive to produce anything reasonable - you need to upgrade to at least win98.

I can confirm that various "all-purpose" card readers work with WIN 98SE, which is a better OS than 95. Each card reader needs an appropriate driver for WIN 98 which may come with the reader but increasingly you need to get from the maker over internet. If you go down this route, when you buy a reader (internal or external) I suggest that you check carefully with the supplier that a WIN 98 driver is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back