Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 95 to 98 Upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikevdog

Technical User
Sep 2, 2003
US
How can I remove Windows 95 and replace it with Windows 98 on my laptop? I want to totally remove the old 95 and then replace it since the copy of 98 I have will not work as an upgrade to the 95 version. Thanks

Mike

A pain in the rear end way would be reformating the C: drive, reinstalling the cdrom drive from a 3.5disk, then installing your new operating system.
Of course you lose everything on the drive, but the bright side is it's clean.

Assuming you don't want anything at all on the laptop.

Personally I'd FDISK the drive and reformat. Then install 98.

One word of caution ensure that you have the drivers for the video/sound card. Its not uncommon for these not to be identifed during installation particularly with older OS's such as 98.

Actually, I just want to remove the 95 version and not disturb anything else on the drive (especially documents and program files). Assuming I can leave everything else just as it is,if possible, I only want to REPLACE Windows 95 with Windows 98.

mikevdog - then you'll need to 'upgrade' (any other method - will leave some (perhaps most) apps not working - though program files would still be there - registry entries & system files missing). thread615-528769 might be helpful here.

While you have the 95 up and running copy the 98 install stuff to an install directory.
Reboot into command prompt and copy deltree onto the root.
Deltree windows.
go to the 98 install stuff and run setup.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back