Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 95 Drive Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

slymac

IS-IT--Management
Sep 20, 2001
CA
I am trying to copy my hard drive that has Windows 95 to another drive to boot up from. I have used xcopy to copy all the directories and then used sys c: d: to copy the system files. When I boot from the new drive it stops at the command prompt. Is there anything else I need to do to make it bootable or is there no way?

Thanks

recopy the msdos.sys file.
if you had sys'd the drive and then copied, it would have worked.

I can't seem to find an msdos.sys file.
Does it matter whether I copied the drive first or sys'd first?

sounds like you need to reformat your master boot record. boot to ur dos prompt and run

fdisk /mbr

slymac hi,

Could I suggest you have a look at the Windows forums here? Mike

"Experience is the comb that Nature gives us, after we are bald."

Is that a haiku?
I never could get the hang
of writing those things.

I agree this should be taken to the windows forum.
but
no its not the master boot record if the drive boots at all.
from the information it sounds like slymac is unfamiliar with hidden/system files. io.sys and msdos.sys must reside at the beginning of the filesystem. xcopy can work with the proper switches but its annoying. use windows explorer to copy all files after turning on the display all files option and do not attempt to copy win386.swp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back