Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 95-based CNC controller locked out of Server 2008-based domain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrayc

MIS
Jan 5, 2012
US
Hello everyone,

I have a CNC laser cutting machine running off a Windows 95-based controller. This controller connects to our company's domain which is controlled by Windows 2008 Standard domain controllers (32-bit). Three days ago, there was a brief network outage on the machine, which was traced to a faulty network switch which has been replaced. However, the controller now won't log into the network with its original login credentials (an "access denied" message appears). My supervisor, who is the overall network administrator, then tried a different password for that account, but with no success (the original password didn't meet our current security requirements). The standard administrator login credentials were also tried, again without success. The original login account was even made a member of the Administrators group for the domain (still no success). Finally, my supervisor used his own login credentials (which have the highest security access), and was able to connect the machine to the network. Obviously, because these credentials have full access to everything on the network, this isn't a viable long-term solution. I know from prior research that Windows 95 wasn't meant to be part of domains, but apparently Microsoft had put out software for Windows 98 that would allow such computers to connect to a Server 2008 computer (I installed that program on this controller 2 years ago and was able to connect to a network drive successfully). So the question becomes how to get the original account to log into the domain again? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

I would suggest that you take a copy of your supervisor's account in active directory to a temporary account and see if that logs in, which it should.
Then remove the temp account's permissions (under the member of tab) one by one, logging off and back on each time until you find the permission that machine wants.

Thanks again, hardies, for your help. My apologies for not responding sooner, but my supervisor and I were checking each credential between job runs for this machine to minimize downtime. It turns out that the Domain Admins membership was what was needed with the new account. The machine has since been set up for auto logon, so the machine operator(s) shouldn't have to worry about remembering passwords again.

Mbrayc, you stated there is a program that allows windows 95/98 to connect to a server 2008 network. I have these machines that are running windows 95 that I am having problems trying to connect to a window server 2008 domain. I just want the machines to access the network shares on the server, that's all. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

rickism21,

The program that I used originally was Microsoft's Active Directory client. There is a version for Windows NT and one for Windows 95/98. I went to verify the Microsoft link but it's gone now (I originally downloaded the program almost 3 years ago and the only valid link on MS is to the NT version). However, a Google search yielded an alternative link through a TechRepublic article from 2003 (see below).

The first comment (dated 4/16/2008) contains a working link to allow you to download the program. Once it's installed, you'll have to reboot the affected machine. You should then be able to map network drives in the usual fashion.

Good luck with your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back