Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 95 and network

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamBCohen

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
US
Hopefully I can describe the situation with all the detail, if not I do appoligize ahead of time.
I have two computers one with 95 and the other with 2000. I am trying to get the two computers in the same workgroup to see one another. The good news is that the 95 comp can see the 2000 comp; however when I go to login it says I do not have the rights. How do I in 95 assign rights to already exsisting users?
The second part of the question is. If from the 95 comp I can see the 2000 comp how come from the 2000 comp I can not see the 95 comp. The users and the workgroup are the same on both computers. Any type of help would be great, thank you in advance

1. in w95 machines check at Control Panel / Nework if your network primary logon is "Client for Microsoft Network"

2. in w2k machine, connection properties, TCP/IP Properties, check if you have NetBIOS marked.

for last, confirm if you have same work group in all machines.

Remember, in w95 machines you must to logon at startup, do not cancel logon prompt.

good luck.

Thank you very much. I Will try this and let you know what happens.

also make sure the 'same' User and password is listed/installed as such on each machine...also see

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Thank you in advance. I will try this out too.

I had the same problem with Win98 systems talking to
Windows 2000. My solution was to make sure the Win2K
machine had a user account with the same name and password
that the Win98 machine used to log in.

I even went so far as to install the NetBeui protocol on
the Win2K machine.

Paul

You should use NetBEUI on all Win boxes for the LAN communications and get rid of the rotten NetBIOS, and unbind any TCP/IP not being used

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back