Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 95 access? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chpicker

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
Is there any reason that a Windows 95 client would not be able to access a Windows 2000 Advanced Server? It is the only computer in the building that has Windows 95, and it is also the only computer in the building that cannot access the server. It has no problem browsing other Windows 98 computers on the network, or even Windows 2000 Professional workstations. However, it cannot even connect to either of our Windows 2000 Advanced Server machines. They show up in Network Neighborhood, but double-clicking on either server comes back (45 seconds later) with the following error:
[tt]
\\server1 is not accessible.

The computer or share name could not be found. Make sure you typed it correctly, and try again.
[/tt]
The whole network is set up using TCP/IP with static IP addresses. Any suggestions?

Ian

chpicker

Add the user who is using this maachine to the "pre windowsw 2000 compatable access" Group under active directory. I had thge same problem once and it fixed it for me. Let me know how you go!

Sproosy Keep it real!

I'm actually not using Active Directory. I simply have the necessary folders shared on the server, and the rest of the computers in the building map a drive letter to that shared resource. Selecting Active Directory in the "Configure Your Server" tool prompts me to run the Wizard to set it up.

Any other ideas?

check , that you 're not using IPSec... on a server.

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

What is IPSec? I've never heard of it...if it's not built into W2k, though, then I doubt it's using it.

Ian

IPSec - IP security enhancements over tcp/ip protocol. For more info see W2kAS help. IT IS built in w2k. try to Check it. are your pc in domain?

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

No, there are no domain controllers. The network is made up of just one workgroup. The servers simply share their folders and the clients map local drive letters to those shares.

Primitive, I know, and a considerable waste of a W2k Advanced Server license (we could easily have handled this with just W2k server or even a workstation) but it's what we have to work with.

I am the one who set these computers up from scratch, installing the OS on each myself from the original CDs. I didn't configure IPSec at all, and from the help files I read, it looks like something that would not be active unless you configure it yourself. Am I right? If that's the case, then it's not running.

Ian

Are the rest of the clients all W2K/XP? The W95 machine may need a WINS server.

Aye, it is netbios problem. create a hosts file on the 95 machine to point to the server...

Woohoo! Thanks, jthiessen, that did the trick!

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back