Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 8.1 Wont See DVD ROM Drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArizonaGeek

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2006
US
So normally I am pretty good at fixing anything on a PC but I'l be damned if I can figure this one out. My parents have an HP Elite desktop (which I also have and mine works great) loaded with Windows 8.1 that cannot see the DVD burner. The BIOS sees it just fine and can even boot to it using Hirens. I replaced the HP DVD burner with a brand new Samsung DVD burner thinking that the HP was bad, but Windows still does not see the drive. I have run all the updates and even viewed hidden files in Device Manager, found a few old things and removed them but nothing pointing to the DVD burner. I plugged in a USB burner and it found it almost immediately. Short of re-installing Windows I am kinda lost. Anyone got any ideas?

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Any help here? It's obviously NOT a defective drive if you can boot from it. It's a windows issue.
Link

Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Windows 8 has a habit of hiding the optical drive if it does't have a disc in it it can read.

Other than that, You may want to try the upper filters option:

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

So I tried the RegEdit change in the article Phil (vacunita) suggested and it wound up hosing Windows. I did a repair re-install (a refresh) and that fixed the RegEdit errors and also fixed the DVD Rom not showing up. So in the end all is good. Thanks for the help!

Are you sure you edited the correct registry setting? I've never heard where editing the filters registry item ever hosing windows!!

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Me either, my guess is something else was going on with Windows. Either way doing a refresh fixed everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back