Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 - Windows Search 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryR

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2017
US
We are trying to get Windows Search re-installed on a Windows 7 Pro computer and it will not re-install. We removed it for troubleshooting, now it won't re-install. we have even done an in-place upgrade to no avail. Also ensured all updates are installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Two questions:

1) What prompted you to do the "reinstall"? Were you getting an error message? If so, please let us know what that is.

2) How are you trying to reinstall it, specifically, what steps have you tried?

Without providing this information, you're going to get generalized answers. The way you should perform the reinstall is to open "Programs and Features" from the Control Panel, click "Turn Windows features on or off", uncheck Windows Search and reboot the workstation. After the reboot, go back in, enable it, and reboot again.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Sorry for not fully explaining.
I did open "Programs and Features" from the Control Panel, click "Turn Windows features on or off", I unchecked Windows Search and rebooted the workstation. After the reboot, I went back in, enabled it, and rebooted.
On reboot, trying to install update, it just said rolling back changes.

Thank you again for your help.

Jerry

Any chance you are seeing entries in Event Viewer that might lend a clue as to what's going on when it rolls back the changes?

This is a Windows 7 system, correct? It was never upgraded to Windows 8?

Still Windows 7. Never upgraded to 8. No entry in Event viewer that i can tell that applied to this.

Jerry

I am going to try to run the System Update Readiness Tool. I'll keep you posted

jerry

Did the System Update Readiness Tool. Windows Search still would not install.
BTW we removed Search in the process of troubleshooting Search problems in Office 2016.

Jerry

If you go into SERVICES (services.msc) is Windows Search service simply disabled??? If so, set it to Automatic Delayed Start.

If not, try this Window Search Microsoft Fix-it!!! Direct download link. Download and run it.
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Last night I looked at it again. There was no Search Service in services. Tried the Fix-it.It didn't work. I did an in-place upgrade and now will not install updates.
I believe the best solution for this machine is a re-image.

Jerry

Sounding like it. You could easily spend days or weeks on this otherwise.

Just curious: how did you remove windows search?

Do you mean when you open up the file explorer and press Ctrl-F, nothing happens or are you talking about the search from the start menu?

If it is just the search from the start menu, right click on start, select properties. Start menu tab, customize. Scroll down the list until Search - there are radio buttons and search tick boxes. Are the relevant ones selected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back