Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 Update Hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwinn7

Programmer
Feb 10, 2001
US
Does anyone know why Windows 7 Professional 32-bit would hang during an automatic update?

I have...
- Disabled Anti-virus
- Disabled the Firewall

The Windows Update says it is "Preparing to Install", but has been stuck there with the progress indicator cycling for over 3 hours.

Any ideas?

Gary
gwinn7

Can you change your Automatic Updates settings to allow you to download and install the updates yourself. You could then try them one at a time to see if you can isolate the offending update.

Once you know which update is the problem you can download that from a different source such as the Microsoft Update Catalog and install that manually.

Are there any clues in the Windows Update log, CBS log, or the Event Viewer?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, start by ticking both boxes, in any further rerun.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

System Update Readiness Tool

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

Thanks!

Good suggestions.

I will try and get back to this thread.

Gary
gwinn7

RESOLVED!

The problem was caused by a particular Windows Update. Apparently, this is a common problem affecting a lot of users.

Here are the details and how to bypass this issue...

Name of the Update…
“Windows Live Essentials 2011 (KB2434419)”

Symptom

Automatic Updates Hangs at 50% install of this package.

Solution/Workaround

A. Kill the process “wlsetup-all.exe”
or...
B. Don’t select this update.

Thanks
Gary
gwinn7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back