Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 start up script

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3lvin

Technical User
Jan 13, 2008
GB
Hello all,

I am having problems deploying my startup script. The goal of the script is to back up the users Lotus Notes local data (ie personal settings, views..) uninstall Lotus Notes 6.5 single user, install Lotus Notes 8.5.2 multi user. This works perfectly on Windows XP.

On Windows 7, the script copies the data folder and edits the registry then fails on the .msi install. Remote Registry and Windows Installer services are both running. Have tried with different UAC levels too. Any pointers would be great thank you.

========SCRIPT========

IF EXIST "%systemdrive%\Notes6" GOTO END
IF NOT EXIST "%programfiles%\lotus" GOTO END

regedit /s \\aq-ad\Users\configuration_files\Data\Notes_upgrade\NotesMulti.reg

xcopy "%programfiles%\Lotus\Notes\Data" "%systemdrive%\Notes6\Data\" /Y /Q /E /H /I /C

(THIS IS WHERE IT FAILS)
msiexec /i "\\aq-ad\Users\configuration_files\Data\Notes_upgrade\Multi_setup\Lotus Notes 8.5.2.msi" TRANSFORMS="\\aq-ad\Users\configuration_files\Data\Notes_upgrade\Multi_setup\Lotus Notes 8.5.2.mst" /qb

:END
Exit

Windows System and Application logs are not giving me any clues.

You need to run the task as an administrator. UAC will run all login scripts using the standard user token (no admin rights) even if the user is an admin. If you deploy the script through a group policy though it will work because GPO's are ran in the admin context. If this is not possible becasue they are in a workgroup (no domain) you will have to try alternatives. Take a look at Login Scripts Fail to Map Network Drives to see why this happens with UAC. It is in relation to login scripts not mapping drives but the same principle applies to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back