Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 Licensing Question 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts8586

MIS
Nov 28, 2004
US
I want to give a desktop PC that I have sitting around, which is running a corporate licensed version of Windows 7 Professional, to a friend, who in turn wants to give it to a family member as a gift. I think they only really want it because it's already loaded with Windows 7, and they no nothing about computers, meaning, they would be lost if they had to re-load an operating system on it.

My question is, if this person tried to contact Microsoft for support on it, would Microsoft know that is a license that my company paid for, would Microsoft charge them for support (meaning that they only care that's it's a genuine copy of Windows 7), or should I ask this person to buy their own copy of Windows 7 and pay me to re-install it?

>You can buy OEM licences at at a wholesalers along with purchasing a new hardware component for the computer, such as a video card, sound card, memory, HDD, etc. fitting this hardware actually means you have become an OEM even if you have only built or upgraded that one machine in your entire life

Incorrect. Microsoft removed this loophole from OEM licensing years ago (which does not stop unscrupulous retailers and wholesalers from pretending that nothing has changed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back