Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 7 - iprint - netware 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladycard

MIS
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hello,

I have set up a windows 7 workstation with the novell vista client. I am able to access my netware 5 server. I see that the novell vista client doesn't have the "novell capture printer port". I need to capture the LPT4 to a printer on the netware server so I can print from a DOS program. I see the netware 5.1 uses iprint to do so. Is there a way I can manually set the LTP4 through a command using the dos prompt or should I be approaching this from a different angle?

Thanks!
Barb

I am trying to write the correct syntax for capturing a printer port and assigning a printer. This is what I have been using
NET USE LPT4: \\FS2\BHL\MLL crestland z:\\FS2\SYS\PUBLIC\CAPTURE L=4
Q=hpLJ4200_Q /PERSISTENT:YES

I then get
NET USE
[devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
[/USER:[domainname\]username]
[/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
[/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
[/SMARTCARD]
[/SAVECRED]
[[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

How should the correct syntax read? I have tried several variations.

Thanks!

You should be able to capture an LPT port with the iprint client. It sounds like you're not using iPrint, but NDPS.. Which actually makes sense because you're using NetWare 5.1. I don't recall if NetWare 5.1 will use iPrint or not, but if you have the option to turn it on, you should. Then use the iPrint client instead of the Novell client to manage your printing.

Also why are you still running NetWare 5.1? You have to expect some incompatibilities between a new OS (Windows 7) and a Network server that is 10 years old.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

We use netware 5 (which does not support the iprint) not netware 5.1 (which does support the iprint). I understand the netware 5 is over 10 years old. I do expect some incompatibilites and so far I have jump most of the hurdles - I also believe I should be able to map the LPT ports via net use (as windows 7 still allows the command) - I am having problems with the correct syntax and was looking for helpful suggestions. We don't plan to upgrade our netware 5 at this point.

Barb LaFond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back