Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 DHCP Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2011
CA
Greetings,
I have a Windows 7 PC that is not pulling an IP Address from the correct DHCP server. We have multiple floors in our building and each floor is serviced by it's own DHCP server. The problem is, the computer is on the 5th floor and is pulling from the first floor DHCP server. I have already elimintated leases and reservations. Other Windows 7 and Windows XP PC's are pulling from the correct DHCP Server. I cannot think of anything else at this moment to look for.

After an "ipconfig /release" and "ipconfig /renew", what does "ipconfig /all" say? What does the IPV4 information state in the Local Area Connection Properties? Not accidentally set to Static is it?

"You don't know what you got, till it's gone..
80's hair band Cinderella or ode to data backups???

The PC is set to use DHCP. ipconfig /all states an IP address for the first floor, and that the DHCP server is the first floor server.

So there is no manually set DNS server for this correct? And you checked for leases/reservations, was this PC located on a different floor before coming up to the Fifth floor?

How is your topology set up? Apparently everything is on the same VLAN or at least 1 and 5 are.

No Manual DNS, I already eliminated any prior reservations/leases. Yes he was on the first floor prior. So were a few others who are all working fine on the fifth floor. I got rid of the leases/reservations, then did a release / renew then it pulled up the same IP that it has been getting. It doesn't make much sense.

Were the others that were on the first floor XP machines? Or were any of them 7 machines but successfully made the DHCP switch. Sorry for asking these preliminary questions but I would rather know if it was an issue with this unit or a missing setting server side.

A few were XP, others were 7 and they all made the DHCP switch.

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head, did you restart the DHCP service immediately after doing the lease/reservation release and renew?

I haven't restarted the service on the PC, I have rebooted the server and the PC.

That should have taken care of it. Other thing I thought of, can you quickly double check if the DHCP service is still running on the Fifth Floor DHCP server?

Under tcp/ipv4 is there a DHCP server address set? Is it set to the server on the first floor? Can you set it to the server on the 5th floor?

question: are the DHCP servers also the gateways? perhaps you need to set the gateway manually on the afflicted PC...

you could try a small test, to see if the OLD DNS information is causing the hick-up, in the CLI/powershell window type the following:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

what IP does it get after that?

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Try rebooting your switches, they may be hanging onto the MAC address

Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back