Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 Crazy Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

samirshk88

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2013
Hello Experts,
This is my first post
This is just crazy. I have been facing this problem with Windows 7 computers
For example I have 2 machines PC1 and PC2, both are under same subnet and they are connected to a Cisco switch wirelessly using Wireless USB Adapter I have tried replacing the adapter but no luck.

Here is the deal
PC1 wont ping PC2 unless PC2 pings PC1 first. They should ping each other to access shared file ( shared between them)

Firewalls are turned off on the machines
There are no ACLs, no firewall
Power Management turned off for Wireless adapter.

Where could the problem be?

Please help.

Thanks

Instead of destroying your security settings, try setting up a HomeGroup. First, make sure both belong to the same workgroup name and have different computer names. If you made a change, reboot. Next, set the network profile on both laptops to "Home" (caution: make sure you trust the network you're on, or at least realize that Home profiles are the least secure). Stepping through the HomeGroup wizard on one laptop will give you a password which can then be shared with the other.

Resources that might help:

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Sorry, didn't mean to refer to them as "laptops".

Hi,
Thanks for the response.
I think you people are taking my questions wrong, the main problem is not about sharing

PC1 wont ping PC2 unless PC2 pings PC1 first. Why is that so with Windows 7.

Samir

1. Are they both running Windows 7?

2. Are they both in the same workgroup?

3. What happens if you ping PC2 from PC1 using its IP address instead of computer name? Does it still fail?

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

And my response had nothing to do with sharing, it is the Network Location Awareness Service. And if it isn't running, or it's dependencies, you can have problems seeing devices on the network. Read about it here

@cdogg
Yeah. They both are Windows 7
They are under same domain
The ping fails by the name also
They are under same vlans ( subnet)

Thanks for the help.

Definitely review rclarke's link when you have a chance. There's a lot of useful info in there that should help troubleshoot. Also since you're in a domain environment, defining the Domain profile in group policy is the way to go for the rest of your environment.

With that said, you can still try the following on both workstations to resolve the issue for now and mess with group policy later:
1. Open the Network and Sharing Center and under "View your active networks", make sure both PCs have the network identified as Work network

2. On the main Network and Sharing Center screen, click "Change advanced sharing settings" over to the left. Under the Work profile, enable network discovery and file and printer sharing, then click Save changes.

Hopefully, that does it. If it still fails, then we need to know if pinging the computer name resolves to an IP. For example, pinging PC2 returns its correctly assigned IP, but you get no reply. If it's not showing the correct IP, then we might be looking in the wrong place for a fix.

-Carl

@cdogg
The pc's are identified as Domain Network > Network Discovery and File sharing is turned on.

When I ping the computer by name Yes the computer name resolves to IP but no reply

Thanks

Samir

Well, that is a strange issue indeed. One last thing that comes to mind is to check the list of network protocols installed for your network adapter. Oddballs like "Virtual Machine Network Service" that gets installed with third-party apps like Virtual PC can cause issues.

1) Open Network and Sharing Center and click "Change adapter settings" over to the left.

2) Right-click the network adapter you're connected on and select Properties.

3) Typical protocols are:

[tab]Client for Microsoft Networks
[tab]QoS Packet Scheduler
[tab]File and Print Sharing
[tab]TCP/IPv6
[tab]TCP/IPv4
[tab]Link-Layer Topology Discover Mapper
[tab]Link-Layer Topology Discover Responder

If you see any others in that list, uncheck them to disable them temporarily.

4) Click OK and reboot.

-Carl

Hi,
I have disabled other protocols, let's see what happens I'll keep posting the updates. Thanks

Samir

hi,
still the problem persists after disabling other protocols.Any more ideas ?

Thanks
samir

What happens if you swap the wireless USB adapters between PC1 and PC2?

Also, re-check your typing, look for a typo in the subnet and gateway entries.

Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back