Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 build 7601 this copy of windows is not genuine. Tried what i know but nothing works. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce060356

Technical User
Jan 29, 2011
US
Tried what i could but some fixes didn't work or had viruses. Thanks in advance.

Bruce notes:
It did do this one other time in the past. I found a thread online that worked that time. But since has been removed.
It was probably removed because it violated the licensing/law.

I understand piracy can sometimes be inadvertent by unknowing/uninformed individuals but it seems Bruce knows a bit more than what he is admitting. I'm not accusing Bruce of anything. I'm just saying that there is a strong smell of fish.

When activation errors appear, they provide directions to contact Microsoft or the OEM to resolve. It is not necessary for anyone to turn to Google or a forum for assistance, unless they have some nefarious reason for not contacting Microsoft.

Bruce, you should have some documentation (receipt/invoice/packaging) that demonstrates this vendor sold you a Win7 system. Otherwise, the vendor may claim you installed Win7 yourself over their Vista computer and that you are responsible for correcting this Windows licensing issue on your own.

Should you have this Windows 7 licensing documented, wave a copy of it in front of the vendor's face to let them know you have something to submit to Microsoft/BSA.

Google the Windows product key from the diagnostic report pasted above. It is all over the internet with 13,000 results.

What is the name/location of this computer store?

I do have documentation on what was sold to me. I paid $250 for the machine. The name of the business is Computronix in Circle Pines Mn. Now that i know the the OEM is invalid. I have more fire power to get this guy in big trouble. Thanks for your expertise guys. I really appreciate it and i am going after him to give me the software i want that is legitimate. The guy doesn't know i am a technician yet. Calling him again tomorrow with the information i have. Thanks again guys.

Well, i went to talk to the guy today about what was going on with my system. Of course i was the one that was wrong no matter what i said. He kept saying that something was changed in the registry. Something short of a virus. He didn't like that i was accusing him of selling me a fraudulent machine.He wanted me to bring the machine in so he could check if the registry had been changed by whatever he thought would change it so it would say that it was not genuine. He also told me that COA's only go on new machines. So he went somewhere on his machine and got me a different key code. I took it home and it worked. That's how it ended. He called me to make sure that it worked. And said if this one failed he had a new one that hasn't been used. And that was it. Thanks for all your input guys.

Just so you are aware: you are still running, from Microsoft's point of view, an illegal copy of Windows 7

> whatever he thought would change it so it would say that it was not genuine
It isn't just that it is saying that it is not genuine, it is the fact that it is a completely incorrect version of Windows 7. Note that OEM SLP versions include additional code for checking the BIOS SLIC table. As a result non-SLP versions cannot be magically transformed into an SLP version by a few registry settings or other activity that a virus might carry out.

>He also told me that COA's only go on new machines
Oh dear. More uninformed rubbish.

>He didn't like that i was accusing him of selling me a fraudulent machine
He may not like it, but he is. I'll repeat: no 3rd party system builder can legally install an OEM SLP version of Windows for resale. SLP can only be installed by the original manufacturer. A 3rd party system builder can, of course, install a legitmate non-SLP OEM version on an old or refurbished PC - but are then required to provide the relevant COA (and yes, it should be stuck to the case). They should also provide you with all the relevant software to be able to reinstall the OS.

They have a number of other obligations. In case you want to take this further, and need some sort of backing beyond what people are telling you in this forum, here's the license that system builders have to agree to which outlines their obligations and deliverables:

Just to be clear, when I say:

>They should also provide you with all the relevant software to be able to reinstall the OS.

I mean that they should must you with a (genuine) hologrammed Windows 7 CD/DVD (because they are actings as an OEM System Builder, not an OEM, two slightly different things). Microsoft a very specific on the subject:

"System builders may not offer a recovery solution with removable media (e.g., a recovery CD) because it is prohibited by the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder Licence. A full version of the Windows operating system is provided on a hologram CD in the Microsoft System Builder pack for each end user, and the CD must be transferred to the end user at the time of distribution. The hologram CD acts as the recovery media."

(note that they are allowed to offer a recovery CD or partition, but only in addition to the original medai, not instead of)

You should Google your new serial # and see if it is pirated.

There is good chance you have just been given a serial # that Microsoft haven't cottoned on to yet I'm afraid.

In my last post "note that they are allowed to offer a recovery CD or partition, but only in addition to the original medai, not instead of" should have read "note that they are allowed to offer a recovery partition, but only in addition to the original media, not instead of"

and "I mean that they should must" => "I mean that they must"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back