Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 and XP Home multi boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman59

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
DE
What is the correct method to remove/wipe Windows 7 Beta for a clean install of Windows 7 RC on a multi-boot system.

At present I have four OS partitions, one of which is Win 7 Beta on drive H:, and three XP home on drives E: F: and G:, the Win 7 boot-loader gives the option of loading Win 7 or starting the XP boot-loader for previous installations. As I see it, I cannot just format the Win 7 partition as this will not take account of the Win 7 boot-loader on drive C:.

This particular problem will arise again for me in Jan 2010 when Win 7 RC expires as I shall not be installing a full release of Win 7 on this old computer.

toolman59

If the Hidden and System Folder called Boot, and the Hidden and System File called BootMgr reside on a XP Partition I doubt you will have any problems. You should just format the Windows 7 Partition from XP and then install RC Candidate into that Partition. Windows 7 will use the original Folder and File first mentioned.

If these Folder and File are on the old Windows 7 Partition (which they probably aren't) then you can repair the boot loading files necessary to get XP (or Windows 7) going again via these programs.

VistaBootPRO

Used EasyBCD

Thanks Linney

The file and folder you have referred to reside on drive C:. This does not have an OS on it, so I will format the drive containing Win 7 Beta, and in due course, when Win 7 RC expires, I presume that another format of the Win 7 RC partition plus the deletion of the folder and file on drive C: will remove Win 7 RC completely.

No problems with what you plan (famous last words). The only problem you may encounter is one day when you decide to format C: as that sounds like the Partition which has all you booting files on it. What's the betting that by the time you have finished with the release candidate that you will be loading the release to manufacture version of Windows 7 anyway but that, I suppose, may be on a new machine if your lucky and well heeled.

plus the deletion of the folder and file on drive C: will remove Win 7 RC completely.
you will probably find that those files and folders will not allow themselves to be deleted... at least on my system they did not...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Thank you both for your replies.

As a precaution I have copied the Win 7 and XP boot files to a USB stick, which I have just used to reboot my system.
Knowing that I can boot from the USB stick, I can then format C: drive to clear everything out if required.

toolman59

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back