Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 all updates download 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsfreak

Technical User
Sep 2, 2004
US
I read in an article on one of my Maximum Pc mags (can't find it or I wouldn't be posting on here lol), that Microsoft release an update containing all of the previous updates to that date, available as a download. Basically like one big download offline installer. Yet I have been searching but unable to find this. The closest thing I have found is a wsus site that does contain updates but not the same thing. I may have misread. Anyway anyone have any idea about this? Thanks

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

This is sort of the "everything I have learned" list of items associated with the CR that I HAVE cribbed from other sources and put together. So, I will put it in quotes.

When installing this roll-up to a new installation of Windows 7 SP1 and/or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1:

Install the KB3102810 and KB3083710 updates, reboot
Then install the April 2015 servicing stack update (with no reboot) KB3020369
Then install the CR

o “Servicing Stack Update” KB3020369 must be installed first, or the roll-up will report “the update is not applicable”. Update KB3020369 is a relatively small update and can be applied with no reboot.

· This roll-up consumes approximately 2 GB of disk space after installation.

o During installation, this roll-up may use approximately 4 GB of disk space. About ½ of the 4 GB will be released during the restart after installation, as the temporary disk space used by the roll-up installer is released.

>>> Disable your network connection until the reboot after installing the rollup. Otherwise the WU client may try to contact WU and start the process of comparing what is in the OS now versus what is available.

>>> Instead of choosing the option "Automatically install" when presented with the option for Windows updates, users should choose "Ask Me Later" when installing the rollup.

>>> After reenabling their network connections, users should then change the Windows Update setting

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Does this allow to save like on a flash drive for installing on multiple machines? I am really trying to get this all together for work as we are always having to make new machines or laptops and it's time consuming with the updates lol. The convenience one I came across but didn't really get it as I only found a couple things listed.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Yes downloadable - instructions here:
Link

I was tasked (okay I volunteered) to update a good friend's Windows 7 laptop which hadn't been updated since Dec 2014 since she didn't have internet. You guessed it, I hit the endless "searching for updates" message. I tried numerous combinations (evidently screwed things up even worse under the hood) but never worked until (1) I first reset the computer back to a prior System Restore point and (2) I applied the security updates in the order specified by goombawaho in his 31 Aug 2016 post above. However, since months had passed I did find and use a more recent convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1.

Well - I mentioned in another thread that I had two brand new Windows 7 SP1 computers and one cooperated perfectly with the procedure above - no waiting, thinking. The other one sat there forever. So, not sure there IS a magic bullet but the above is still the best approach from all I have seen.

I am guessing that this step is important:
>>> Disable your network connection until the reboot after installing the rollup. Otherwise the WU client may try to contact WU and start the process of comparing what is in the OS now versus what is available.

It would keep the update process from ever starting from the online source and you can then control it via installing identified patches, etc. from a flash drive.

It seems like I've heard of this before, but never used it because forgot about it. Anyway, thanks to all for the information and links. I need to pull this together to a standard thumb drive for any time I have to reinstall a Windows 7 machine. Those updates feel like they take years when done through standard means.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Thanks for sharing. Nice to have a reference like that to refer to.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

The following is all you need to know OTHER than one more thing I have learned. Do not connect the computer to the internet after you have installed Windows. That prevents (from what I've seen) the looking for updates thinking and thinking after doing this procedure.

Install the KB3102810 and KB3083710 updates, reboot
Then install the April 2015 servicing stack update (with no reboot) KB3020369
Then install the CR
Reboot
Connect to internet for minimal updates

I just tried the instructions in TouchToneTommy's reddit link, worked perfectly on a Win 7 fresh install. The offline updater is a huge timesaver.

I posted that method a long time ago in a different thread.
Link

It is however, more efficient to do the roll-up package. It will take less time if it works. And 5 out of 6 new Windows 7 installs has behaved for me by doing the "no internet connection/run roll-up package" method.

The main time saving in the WSUS offline update is that there is no downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back