Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 64bit SK98 Install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jglfla

Technical User
Sep 26, 2009
US
I wonder if anyone has had experience with SK98 and 64 bit Windows 7 ?

I am using the W7 Beta release and have not been able to get the install program to even open.

I did download the disks as described for Vista 64, but the setup just stalls and never opens. I have tried this in all compatibility modes to no avail.

I am surprised as I have gotten some pretty arcane stuff to run under 7 with very little effort and I had SK98 working under Vista 64.

The only other possibility is that the compatibility plug-ins are not yet fully developed in the W7 Beta release.

It seems as if it wants to open but just fizzles out. I installed Disk1 -7 in a separate directory on the C: drive end expanded the files into each one.

Any Ideas out there?

THanks

John

Well I got it to install by following the instructions for creating the disks on my c: drive, but only when I attempted it in SAFE mode.

That being said I still could not get it to run in normal mode of Windows 7 64 bit

I then re-installed it in safe mode, this time allowing it to install under Program Files(x32)directory. After that I was able to actually open and run SK98 in Safe Mode, but still could not open in Normal mode.

Thw banner would open but stall on 5 bars of the opening slider, always in the same place no matter which compatibility version I chose.

I always ran as Administrator and once ran it in 640X 480 but even then i could not get it to open.

I'm out of ideas for the moment...Anybody else?

John

Thanks for this helpful insight on Windows7 install of SK98. I was considering a W7 upgrade, given the advertised "good backward compatibility" since SK98 works fine in both Vista 64 and 32 bit for me. I will wait to see how the release version of Windows 7 works before going there. SK98 is too valuable for my work to lose it. Your work with the beta is much appreciated. Saved me from an unwise purchase until more is learned.

Using another PIM is possible, I found an adequate substitute in Essential PIM Pro, but there would be huge # of hours involved in transferring the data.

I followed your instructions to a t for installation with Vista 64 bit with the final release of Windows 7 and this time - unlike the RC version of Windows 7 ...it worked perfectly and I am up and running... Hurray

Thank you all

I have a slightly different problem with SK98 and a full version of Windows 7, 32-bit. I am getting the message that there is not sufficient room on my target drive for the installation to continue, yet my 'target drive' has 600 GB on it. (The C:/ drive.)

Any ideas here would surely be appreciated as I have years of data on that application on another computer that needs to be transferred, and I would surely hate to lose it.

Thanks, Norm

JGLFLA & Norm7057
Thanks for the update on W7 release version. Did you do an upgrade install over Vista 64 or 32 bit? It's supposed to install over the Vista OS transparently. OR did you do a clean install formatting the HD? I have 64bit on my desktop & 32 bit Vista on my laptop. I hope to have a clean upgrade with W7 Home Premium. Any info you can provide will be much appreciated.

JGFLA
Could you give me the specifics of your install? I couldn't find the reference you made in the notes. I have a new Windows 7 computer and sidekick 98 which worked fine under xp sp2. I can't even get the install to run. Tried all the standard compatibility changes to no avail.
Thanks

SkipperTibsl
Following JGFLA's info for Vista 64bit I installed SK98 in a Starfish folder that I created on the C: drive. It installed with no problem. Using the programs(X86) folder would not work. C:\Starfish\Sidekick98 works just fine in Vista Home Premium 64 bit. Others say this works with W7. See below...

New Postjglfla (TechnicalUser)
2 Nov 09 3:32
I followed your directions to the T and was able to finally install SK98 in Windows 7 64 bit final release... Many thanks

Hi W Dane
Thanks for the clarification. My problem is that when I start the setup.exe file for SK98 it won't let me get to where I might install it in a different folder. It just immediately gives me an error message that the software is not compatible. Is there any way to install it directly to the folder that I set up?

Hi WDane and jglfla,

Success! I now have sidekick 98 operating on windows 7 home premium. I went back to basics and started over with the 7disk files. Then using the setup.exe in disk1 file. I got past the setup warning and then assigned the software to c:\Sidekick\Sidekick98 (since I didn't want to use the term Starfish. Worked like a charm. Will update if any problems.

Thanks to all (and my wife thanks you too.)

Well done everyone!
To clarify:
I tend to use Starfish for the folder purely out of habit, you can call the folder anything You like but it is an idea to have a folder so you can install other versions of Sidekick into it should you so desire.......

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Same, but different problem ...

I (usta) run Sidekick 97 on my xp sp2 computer. My wife has been running Sidekick 97 under Vista with no problems for months.

Have a new Win 7 computer I'm moving to.

Getting the same error on install described above --- setup.exe is being rejected by the OS as "not compatable with the version of Windows you're running". Tried the various compatibility options with no luck.

Copied my CD to a directory on the C: drive. No change.

So, I'm still at step 1, trying to get setup.exe to run.

SkipperTibsl -- you say you "got past the setup warning". Can you provide more detail on how?

Am I missing something?

Alternatively, I could move to some other application, but it appears that the only conversion tool converts to Outlook, which would not be my first choice. Any other conversion / export options anyone is aware of?

Thanks in advance ....

Hi rackafritz,

I had a large setup file and Windows 7 choked on it. So, I went back to basics by downloading each of the 7 compressed files, (checking them for viruses, unzipping them, and then putting all 7 of the folders (each with the unzipped file labeled Disk1, etc into one folder. It is important to not have the zipped files in that folder. Then go to the files in DISK1 and you will see the setup.exe. It's a small file. Run it and then you get to where Windows 7 lets you do so by asking if you want this file to change settings on your computer. (It asks this of all non 64 bit program).

Then follow the setup suggestions above.

Good luck...Sidekick 98 lives!

Thanks, SkipperTibsl.

Followed instructions exactly. Setup.exe still exhibiting the same behavior.

On another site, I found someone who installed with no problem as well. Only difference I could find was that he was running Win 7 Pro, and I'm running Win 7 Home Premium.

Both 64 bit.

I'm starting to think that the end is inevitable, so I'm dumping history using a PDFwriter (nice surprise - searchable), and exploring newer PIMs.

I'll check periodically to see if there are other approaches...

Hi rackafritz,

I'm also using Windows 7 home premium. Is the setup.exe file you are using the small one in DISK1 that is 58.5 kb and created 7/15/97? That worked for me. When I first tried the small setup file I also had the zip files in the mix and it choked. But when I put all unzipped files in their separate folders inside a separate folder I called unzipped files, it worked fine. When it originally choked before even starting to set up with a message that the file was incompatible I had used a very large setup file that had worked in xp. Not sure where I got it but 7 did not like it.
I'm pleased since every time I look for a PIM I find nothing remotely comparable.

I have an honest-to-God Starfish original CD, logo & all.

in DISK1, SETUP.EXE is dated 1/9/1997 8:00PM, the size is 44KB.

All files are dated the same, except for Datasafe, Dow Jones, & Acrobat.

Is there a way to get a copy of what you have?

Thanks again for the help....

Thank you! Sidekick 97 won't install, but 98 will!

I'm back in business!

I didn't apply the patch file. What does it do?

Thanks!

Dear rackafritz,
See Faq page 1 on my website at siderealb0x.com and particularly Question 15
Error: "Invalid file to complete this action! mast:wk"
This explains one of the reasons that you should install the patch.
The other reason is for todos to carry forward. I am not sure this does not happen anymore but there is no down side to installing the patch
If you follow the instructions to the letter it is a piece of cake!

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back