Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 7 (64 bit) loses internet connection periodically

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGJ

Programmer
Jan 31, 2005
CA
Hello,
We have recently added a Windows 7 64 bit machine to our network. Periodically the machine loses its internet connection as well as any external db connections. When this happens the machine still says it is connected to the network with "Internet access". Also, I am still able to RDC to other machines in the network when this happens.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.
Thanks.

Have you looked at the connectors, cabling, and other hardware between this machine and the rest of the World?

Is there any updated Network Card driver that you can install, if not, perhaps uninstalling and then reinstalling the current driver might help?

Are there any clues in the Event Viewer at the time of loss of connection?

When you lose the connection, what if anything, are you doing to restore it, or does it come back by itself?

Not a cabling problem, if I connect a 32 bit XP machine it works fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the network card driver. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the Event Viewer. When I lose connection, it comes back on its own after a few seconds (sometimes minutes).

Have you checked the power management for the NIC???? Are you allowing the card to sleep when it's idle?

Yes I have checked the Power Management, it is not allowed to be turned off to save power.

I should also note that when I connect outside of the network everything works fine.

Can you tie it down to similar time of day, or any nearby equipment causing interference, more so probably if it was a wireless connection.

A couple of other things to look at, I offer no recommendations on either suggestions, but when your struggling for a solution to a sporadic and random problem anything is worth a look at.

TCP Autotuning & Performance

How To Disable IPv6 In Windows 7

When you tested with XP was that machine connected long enough to be a worthwhile test, or in other words how often do you see this fault in Windows 7?

Hi TGJ

Look and see if you have a program called "BonJour Services" installed on your computer.

This is installed by ITunes and several Adobe programs.
It has been the main cause of this problem since Windows 7 first came along and was still a problem on my new computer.
In my case it is Adobe that is installing it.

Check out this links.

Mike

It is a wired connection. Happens all the time (no particular time of day). I have tried linney's two suggestions with no luck. Also, I do not have Bonjour installed. Thanks for the help so far... any more ideas?

Have you changed ports on the network switch? I know you said xp 32 bit works there, but there may be some inconsistency in the set up of that port that affects Win 7/64 bit

Haven't changed any ports on the network switch.

Another thing I just discovered. If I right click on the Local Area Connection, when I have lost my internet connection, and click "Diagnose" the connection is restored even though the message says "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem". And conversely if I click on "Diagnose" when I have a connection, I then lose my connection.

Part of the Diagnosis run by the Wizard is to disable and then enable the Network Adapters, that action may be responsible for what you have just mentioned about the clicking on Diagnose?

Speaking of Network Adapters, do you have any that are not being used by Windows that you can disable permanently?

Is another device on the network trying to use the same IP address?

Is the IP address on this machine obtained by DHCP, or is it a fixed IP address? If given a different, allowable, fixed address does the problem go away?

Are there any wireless access points, routers etc., on the same network segment, and are they secured? Is someone's nearby laptop attempting to connect to your network?

There is a wireless and bluetooth adapter, they are both currently disabled.

One more thing to add, I just set up another Windows 7 machine but this one is 32 bit and so far there are no connection issues.

IP is obtained by DHCP, no other device is trying to use it, I have tried assigning other IPs but the problem does not go away. No wireless access points to the network.

Are the working machines using different Network Cards to the non-working machine?

The other new maching (32 bit) has the same network card and it is working fine.

Well I re-installed Windows. Wiped out all the pre-installed Dell software and it seems to be working alot better. Only lose connection when the machine first starts or if it goes to sleep and then awakes. Hopefully things stay ok as I install other software. Thanks for all the help.

Spoke too soon. Still have problems. The 32 bit machine is also losing its connection.

I have noticed that (sometimes) when I try to access folders on the network, this causes the connection to drop.

Can you designate one of those machines as a "test only" machine and run it in "Safe Mode with Networking" for some considerable time and see if it behaves any better in regards to the Network?

We can also assume that the same Network Card is running in both machines? How are the finances looking with a view to trying a different brand of card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back