Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2KPro-Domain Not Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbcassius

Technical User
Jan 28, 2005
US
I installed 2K Pro onto my home computer (mistake). I am now unable to log on. I receive an error message that reads, in part, that the domain is not available.

It is not providing me with a dialogue box that allows me to just log onto the computer. Finally, I've tried reinstalling W2K Pro, but the computer goes directly to the C drive and does not pick up the CD-Rom. I need help logging on. Any suggestions?

Well in order to boot to your cd - did you boot to the bios and check the boot order? CD-rom should be first, floppy second, hard drive third.

When you installed 2k Pro did you upgrade from another OS or install froms scratch? I'd format the HD and instal from scratch if you haven't before.

At the login screen where the domain name is listed can the dialog box be expanded and if so does it also contain the workstation name? If it's there select this and try logging on with the Administrator user and password that you set when W2K was installed.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Reinstall. It is unlikely you have a Domain on your Home network.

i have a win2k prof pc on my domain. on this i have a hp printer installed & shared. i am unable to browse to this printer, from a win98pc on the same domain. i am able to connect to this printer if i log on to "this computer" domain at the win2k end. but i need to have both pcs on the main domain.

A Domain requires a Domain server - either a Microsoft server product, or linux with SAMBA, or Novell Netware.

You have a Workgroup, and your settings should reflect this.

I am having the same problem with a little different twist. I get the Logon dialog box (on choice for a domain is given), I do not have a domain but instead, a Workgroup. After Logging in I get a message stating that the system "cannot log me on because the domain XXX is not available". Any thoughts on correcting this problem ?

thanks

fb

fb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back