Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2k3 file sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovin

MIS
Sep 10, 2003
US
hey, trying to get win2k3 setup to share files. I created a folder and tried using the wizard to create a share and then tried doign it manually (right click folder, share, set perms, then go to security and set more perms)...

from the 2k3 machine itself, it can browse the network and access all shares (even its own) but on any other machine on the network, whenever i double click the server icon in net'hood, i get the error "SERVERNAME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

Not sure why it does this... i shared the folder the same way as i did with NT, 2K and XP machines...

any ideas? thanks

oh forgot to mention, the fw is off, the server replies to pings and i can even VNC into it.

also, from the win2k3 box, i can browse everything else on the network, even itself.. but other machines just cant get to the win2k3 box.

ok, not a permission problem... when I switch back to DHCP everything works... but when i set a static IP (say 192.168.1.100) then clients can no longer access the shares... even weirder is when i ping the server from a client, they think the server is at ip 1.203 instead of 1.100...

ive tried switching back to dhcp, releasing the ip, and then giving it a static, but no go... im pretty sure i have all the correct ip info set up statically...

sounds to me like a DNS issue, if the ping is being sent to the wrong address.
Check to see in DNS if the correct IP is assigned to the server, if it isn't create one manually and remove the old association.
Little bit confused though, does the server have a fixed ip? are the shares you created being assigned via a script?
Are the clients being assigned DHCP addresses if so do you have any other functionality via DHCP, ie gateway address, dns server address etc.

yes, it has a static IP address... i switched it back to DHCP just so I could do other work on it. I tried switching back to a static IP, but this time, I did release/renew several times before hardcoding the IP and now everything finally works! thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back