Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2k3 DNS and Yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2003
US
Hello All,

Thanks for reading this. Here is the issue, if a user visits the page comes right up, but if he then clicks on the financial icon at the top of the page, the request times out.

However, if I set that same users machine to use the old DNS system, (bind system), there isn't an issue, and the financial icon can be clicked to the users content!

Seems to be a query formatting issue, I believe this due to the fact that if I set the Win 2k3 DNS box to forward to the bind box, nothing changes, though a client pointing directly to the bind box finds joy!

Any thoughts?

Thanks again, Joe

I'm currently using a W2K3 DNS server to resolve my queries, and I'm able to follow that weird finance link. My server is forwarding its queries to a *Nix-based DNS server.

When you are pointed at the W2K3 server, can you type "finance.yahoo.com" into your browser and have it resolve? If so, then probably the problem is that yahoo is using some sketchy formatting on that domain name:

But I'm not sure why my W2K3 resolver would work for this query and yours wouldn't.

ShackDaddy

ShackDaddy,

If I type finance.yahoo.com into my browser, I can resolve the name and surf there...

It's a VERY strange issue! I can go to SOME of the links on the Yahoo.com page and they are mostly using that same "sketchy" type of url...

Very bizzare!

I guess I am the only one with this issue?

Joe

Some further info...

If I add as a forwarder, a Linux based Bind box, stop and start the DNS server service AND clear the Win 2k3 server cache, I am able to browse to most of the links on the yahoo home page on the first try, if not first, second try...

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back