Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2k Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentNight

Technical User
Apr 1, 2003
US
My system has become unstable. I am getting many errors that various "exe" files are "creating errors". The program error message indicates that an error log is being genertated and that the program will have to be restarted. I am then "kicked out" of whatever program I was in. First it was Internet Explo. I wanted to reinstall IE, but saw that they are now chrging $ on their website for the latest. So I started using Netscape. Now apparently Netscape.exe is generating errors and keeps having to Shut down, and I have to keep on going back on to get to where I was on the Web. It is happening w/ greater regularity and now with other programs as well. I recently re-installed Norton 2002, and noticed that Norton gave me the message that some of my Win2K files were either missing or unrecognizable. It told me to put the Win2k CD in, but wasn't smart enough to actually repair the problem. Ofcourse when I simply stick the CD in the bay, I can only repair from a "console" (recommended only for advanced heads, which i am not) or from some "emergency disk" of which i have no idea where or how. For a $200 CD, one would think it possible to insert the CD and have it repair its own files! Does anyone have any idea how to repair Win2k w/o having to format and reinstall the whole bloody thing????

Thanks

Frank G

System File Checker

The system file checker utility, Sfc.exe, allows administrators to scan all protected files to verify their versions. Sfc can also check and fix the cache directory.

The following is the command-line syntax for Sfc.

SFC options

Options

/SCANNOW
Scans all protected system files immediately.
/SCANONCE
Scans all protected system files at the next boot.
/SCANBOOT
Scans all protected system files at every boot.
/REVERT
Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP: Return to default settings.
/CANCEL
Windows Me, Windows 2000: Cancels all pending scans of protected system files.
/QUIET
Windows Me, Windows 2000: Replaces all incorrect file versions without prompting the user.
/ENABLE
Windows Me, Windows 2000: Enables WFP for standard operation.
/PURGECACHE
Empties the file cache and scans all protected system files.
/CACHESIZE=x
Sets the file cache size. The default size of the cache is 0x32 (50 MB).
Sfc sets the following registry value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SFCScan

For more information, see WFP Registry Values.
-----------------------------------------------------
Click start, run, type cmd (press enter)

in the dos box, type sfc (press enter)

Hey thanks! I finally found out how to get top something that looks like DOS in Win2k...

To follow up:

got as far as typing in "sfc" (enter). Then all the commands are displayed, but at the risk of showing my ignorance, now what? I tried typing in "/scannow", but the message I get back is "'/scannow' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

What do I do from here to get these commands to execute?

Thanks!!!

Frank G.

UPDATE!

I figured out how to execute sfc /etc...

Thanks!

I am currently testing the results!

Frank G.

There are options to repair a 2k installation.
Boot from the 2k install CD. Choose new install & it should find your 2k installation and offer a repair (R) option (note - I'm not sure this is available with the original, non-service packed version of the install disk. It certainly is available from an install disk with SP3 slipstreamed in). This is similar to XP's repair (like a reinstall, but leaves data, apps & settings intact - need to reapply patches afterwards).

Or, after booting CD, choose Repair option. Then choose repair installation (R) rather than recovery console. There's a quick (do all repair options) or manual (you choose which options to run) choice. It will ask for ERD (Emergency Recovery Disk) - if you haven't got one it will try to find your installation (doesn't always manage this). If it does, will either start quick repair or prompt you for option, then do repair.

Well you know,

I found the option to repair from console (didn't do that), Then there is the Emergency disk which i have no idea how to produce. I have never encountered an option to simply repair from the CD. It's either Console, Emergency Repair Disk, or full installation. I have the Win 2k w/ the service packs, so maybe I'll keep digging.

Thanks for the Input!

Frank G.

As wolluf said, typically to do the Win 2k repair choose new install after booting from the cd and then there is an option to repair a previous install. It always makes me nervous that I have to choose new install first to get to that screen. Just be aware a repair seems to do great at first but problems often to crop back up later.

Silentnight "I wanted to reinstall IE, but saw that they are now chrging $ on their website for the latest."

Huh?

I don't think MS is charging anything for IE6 !
Unless you requires them to send you a CD via fedex !
I think you misread something there...

Luc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back