Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2K Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

biaya

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
GB
My brother had a VDD error message, and we followed the instructions on MS Knowledge Base to fix this. BUT we now have a problem. Having deleted the VDD key, we wanted to add a new item, but his system does not have the Reg_Multi_SZ value option. Any ideas why this would be missing, how we could get it back and what we should do to add the VDD value.

Thanks.

Thanks. However, this says "Using Regedt32.exe, On the Edit menu, Add Value name VDD as a REG_MULTI_SZ data type. Don't enter any data in the Multi-String Editor. Press OK and exit Regedt32", but even using Regedt32 option doesn't give him the option of Multi_SZ. I have it on my machine but it isn't on his. Any more thoughts?

Thanks

just use regedit at the run prompt

Zaheer Ahmed Iqbal
I.T Systems Support Engineer
Bsc. (Hons).

you mentioned VDD as both a key, and a value.

In regedit, keys and values are _different_ things.

did you add a key of VirtualDeviceDrivers under Control?

Hi both of you and thanks for replying

I haven't added anything yet, but I tried following Microsoft's instructions. When we go to Regedit or Regedt32 and do Edit New (so that we can add the VDD), he only has 4 options: Key; String Value; Binary Value and DWord Value. MS says to choose Multi_String value which I have on my PC but he doesn't.
I'm not sure what's happened to his PC and why he wouldn't have this option> Also how we get around it? At the same time his autorun wouldn't work so I set the value in the registry to 1 as per MS instructions, but it still doesn't autoplay.

Are these 2 things related? easily resolved or would he be better doing a system restore>? If so, how? so many questions.....sorry,.

Make sure you are logged in administrator!

Zaheer Ahmed Iqbal
I.T Systems Support Engineer
Bsc. (Hons).

uh, where in the registry are you trying to add the _key_ or _value_ and which program are you using to do it?

Hello biaya,

What is the proposed reg_multi_sz you intend to restore in the registry? Post it here. (I like to help, but cannot reason in the vacuum.) Two ready methods. [1] Import the setting from a .reg file. [2] Using wmi stdregprov. If you want to do it yourself, make a search on ms site.

regards - tsuji

Hello again,

I see what you need is an empty reg_multi_sz to the key so-named VDD. Here is the simplest way to do by importing from a .reg file. Double click it to import. You should have highest security privilege to do. The contents of the .reg file is like this:
'---below this line---
Code:
REGEDIT

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers]
"VDD"=hex(7):00,00
'---above---
(note: to the letter, even an empty line after the vdd line.)

regards - tsuji

Erratum
Unfortunately, I have not enough proof-read the .reg. Sorry.
The first line
REGEDIT _wrong_
should be read
REGEDIT4

I want to make a complete relisting as I do not wish to misguide less-experienced manipulating the registry the wrong way. (Though, it won't do any damage by this typo as nothing would happen, import would fail silently despite vocally the contrary.)

'---below this line---
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\VirtualDeviceDrivers]
"VDD"=hex(7):00,00
'---above---

- tsuji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back