Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2K JPEG Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbsb

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2001
US
There was a message posted back in 2001 (thread 616-57499) concerning an issue with non-administrator accounts opening JPEG files with a Windows 2000 workstation with Office 2000 loaded. When a user attempts to open a JPEG there is an error message indicating "unable to read file format." When you log onto the same workatation as an admin you are able to open a JPEG.
A reference was made to Q263284 as a solution which is no longer posted on Technet.
Can anyone help me with this?

I tried a search for the KB and it couldn't be found so I tried some other numbers I'd accessed previously and they could be found okay. I'd have to assume that particular KB has been either renumbered or removed. Most of the KBs have the Q dropped from their number, Microsoft's new number system for world-wide use.

Thanks, but I'm really trying to find a solution for my JPEG issue more than missing technet documents.

You will probably have to set all user's permissions to administrative level. You being able to view jpegs probably means you have admin priveleges. The others do not and therefore cannot access the program in read/write mode to open. Change the local users to have admin priveledges and see if it doesnt fix it.

Change the file extension jpg , jpeg assosiation
to open with iexplore . Or another program the user can run .

Using regedt32 from the run command, Go to Hkey_local_machine and choose software. Once in software, navigate to microsoft then to shared tools. From shared tools, choose the graphic filters folder. After the graphic filters folder is chosen, set permissions for users giving them full access. When completed anyone may logon and view graphic files with photo editor. Hope this helps!

Thanks!!!!!
The registry change fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back