Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2K as a router, drops conns 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

webnetwiz

MIS
Mar 30, 2001
US
Hey, everyone.

I've setup a Win2K Server as a router, using NAT. For some weird reason, the clients can use the inside interface as their default gateway, and the machine would route to an outside interface. This setup seems to drop connection once every 2 hours. I have to disable the inside interface, and then re-enable it in order to re-establish connectivity to the Internet. Does anyone have any ideas?

David.

I have found nt2000 used for this purpose to be unstable as well. In the end I cut over to a e-smith server - its redhat linux which has been customized to do routing / nat /firewall / website / email but not RAS - its a no brainer 20 minutes setup - its available for free ( for personal use )from its stable / I've got it running on a ADSL modem. end of my problems
cheers
Gredmir

I'm doing the same on my network and it runs just fine
Just make sure that your NIC is good & stable
(use 3com or intel cards... it should work) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

That's what I am using, 2 Intel 10/100 Pro Management+ NICs.

Hi,

I have the exact same problem ( I'm using Intel and 3Coms NICs ), I setup with routing and remote access service as NAT. It drops the connection randomly. I have the same network configuration with MS PROXY Server 2.0 and it doesn't drop at all! I thought RRAS is more stable than Proxy!

-Nuclear

On your nat server, make sure that only the external interface has a default gateway configured. You must not configure a default gateway on the internal interface. Configure your clients with the IP address of your internal nic of the nat server.

I believe tertone has the key, I have this running without problems, but I do not have a gateway defined on the server LAN NIC. Doing this caused a few snags I didn't expect.

Alex

I cannot get 2K RRAS to see my alcatel usb adsl modem on two diff computers running 2K AS. It worked before but I cannot get it to use this device now (same computer, same hardware, same os image!). The modem works fine using normal dial up techniques.

I have been trying to get linux doing this job instead, now I can't get either to work.... great.

Good one Tertone, you get a star from me. Wish I had known that a week ago..found out the hard way ;)... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I had a nightmare configuring RRAS and NAT and finally got it working but was unstable at times. I am now using PPPShar pro from It is simply the most amazing and simple to use software for ADSL connection sharing. Just have your external and internal interfaces on and run the executable and the connection is shared.

I have a demand dial interface on my win2k NAT server & it's been dropping the line every 15 min or so.
I've just deleted the default gateway from the internal nic & this has solved my problem!

Thanks very much. This was an obscure one..

I have a problem wih NAT on Win2k Server. I have two NIC cards, one has cable modem and the other for my internal network. I have run through MS guide on how to do this, but the workstation (Win2k) I am trying to connect to the internet with is not working, basically I can ping something like msn.co.uk and it will reply, but when I use internet explorer to browse there, it loads part of the page then stops. If I close it down and try again, it takes ages to connect, too long. I am alos running SQL Server 2000 on my server if that is any help and I have installed all the latest and greatest service packs.

Does anybody know what is happening? I am not using Win2K DHCP, but the DHCP provided by NAT (192.168.0.x range)

What am I doing wrong? I am newbie to networking, so simple steps would be a great help thanks.

I was having the same problem as my network hangs up constantly on Win2000. Every Pc on my network with NT 4.0, 98, 95 can access the internet without dropping, except for the Win 2000 pcs. What is happening. Somebody help.

Hmmm...

This thread is reasonobly old but, it's interesting.

I don't have a solution, just adding that I am trying to track down the cause of exactly the same problem. I have set up NAT with Win2K a few times and have experienced this problem twice. Using the seperate DHCP and DNS services or then RRAS buil-ins.

Clients can work on the local network, resolve internet domains and telnet etc. but when browsing with Win2K/XP clients (in I.E(haven't tried 98)) they load half a page and have trouble completing the images etc. Next they usually time out, then they will load a full page fine - and repeat as nessecary.

Haven't much of a clue yet but I'm still looking. Anyone know of anything?

Cheers.
[smurf]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back