Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2008 server srvices is not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliyevelxan

IS-IT--Management
Mar 2, 2009
There's no network connection, and a lot of automatic services aren't running. When I try to start any of them I get error 1053. The event viewer doesn't show anything obvious about services not running (I think that's another symptom - events just aren't getting logged - Windows Error Reporting Service isn't running). Even if I try to restart some of the running services, they won't restart.

Automatic Services not running:-

Application Experience
Application Host Helper
Cryptographic Services
Diagnostic Policy Service
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Facility Data Server
Facility ePortal
IKE...
IP Helper
IPSec policy
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Print Spooler
Remote Registry
Secondary logon
Server
Sophos (various)
Terminal Services
VMWare Tools
Windows Error Reporting Service
WMI
Windows Time
Distributed Transaction
KtmRm
TPM Base
Windows Remote Management
Windows Update

Any ideas?

Ensure that all of the services that should be started are enabled. Some services are dependant on others.
What error do you get when trying to start one of these services? Look at the event viewer to see if there any clues.

Is there a possibility of malware / virus infection on this machine?
I've seen this issue on many infected client machines in the past.

Try running spybot or malwarebytes on this server. You'll need to install the updates manually (since you've got no network functionality).
Also try running a copy of Autoruns. This sometimes shows up the 'nasties'.

Since you mention VMTools then I assume that it is a virtual machine. Event ID 1053 from Service Control Manager indicates that the service failed to start in a timely fashion. Have you verified that the VM is getting sufficient resources from VMware to enable it to run?

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back