Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2008 for use as a Terminal Server - your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gavm99

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2004
GB
Hi all,

I will keep details to a minimum as it is just an overview at this stage.

I have customer who currently has 1 main office. They have approx 15 users. They have a primary SBS 2003 Server which also runs SQL for an off the shelf package. This all works fine.

They will be expanding into a second office in a few months time. This office will have approx 4 users. The users will need access to Exchange and SQL on the SBS Server in HQ.

In a very small nutshell I am going to propose linking the sites together using SonicWalls (they already have one so makes sense from a technical perspective), install a new Terminal Services Server (HP Server, dual processors, 4GB RAM) at the existing main office which will run Microsoft Office applications and a front end for the SQL database.

The Terminal Services server will require Windows 2K3 Licensing, Terminal Services CALs and the clients accessing the server will have Office licenses.

The link speeds at both ends will be at least 2MB at time of writing but hopefully will be more like 4MB.

The clients will then simply RDP into the Terminal Server.

What are your thoughts on this solution?

I haven't decided weather to use Windows 2008 or 2003 yet, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Gavin Moorhouse

Server 2008 introduces the Terminal Services Gateway feature which allows users to securely access over port 80.

This is of huge interest to us because at present our VPN client is rarely able to be used in cafe's and hotels due to the ports being blocked. When our lot travel being able to rdp using port 80 would be a huge step forward.

Server 2008 also allows you to deploy remote applications in a citrix style I believe, which means you dont have to use the full desktop - often confusing to users.

We are looking to move across from Netware in the coming months so for us it makes sense to move to Server 2008.

The only slight concern is that there is a wealth of knowledge on Server 2003 whereas most are just starting out on 2008. All looks great on paper but thats why we are started to play around in virtual environments to see what it can do.

We have done this before several times, so we have a fair amount of experience.

With only 4 users remotely, depending on the application access required, you could consider not having a second server at all - create a network to network VPN and have your client machines authenticate to the SBS server...

The question of course, is the business application - if it is client/server and requires massive bandwidth, then there is no doubt that terminal services is the way to go - and if you are prepared to have a steep learning curve, Server 2008 is the way to do it...

Just as a matter of interest, you stated that network access would be increased to 4Mbs - you need to be aware (if this is DSL or cable) that the downlink speed is totally irrelevant in this scenario - you will always be constrained by the UPLINK speed at the far end...

Have fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back