Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2008 and DHCP server

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevoHC

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2010
US
Hey All -

Setting up W2008 server to handle AD, DHCP, and DNS.
Server has 2 NIC cards.

I configured all the roles and I was connected to the net just fine. Now I want to connect NIC #2 to a switch and join a couple computers to the active directory - but it won't acquire an IP address from the 08 server. Do I need to set a static IP on the second nic? Why won't Nic #2 issue out DHCP to the rest of the computers on the network?

I'm trying to set this up in a test environment, get it all working, then implement at my office.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Any questions feel free to reply. Thank you

Just to be clear:

I have/want it setup this way:

Cable Modem (INTERNET)
|
Nic 1 of Firewall
Nic 2 of Firewall
|
Nic 1 of Windows Server
Nic 2 of Windows Server
|
SWITCH
|
COMPUTERS.. etc

So basically, DHCP/DNS is going to be done on the Windows Server side, the firewall will handle VPN and port fwding etc.

Have it all setup on Nic 1 of Server.. but Nic 2 is going to the network, and clients connected to nic 2 arent able to retrieve an IP address.

Do I need to bridge these connections? Is there some other service that needs to be installed?

Again, all help is appreciated. If my little text diagram sucks, let me know and I will post a picture of how I'd like to have it setup.

Just courious, what's your end goal fo having two NICs in your server?

In this diagram shown, your asking your server to be an internal router (which by the way, Microsoft sucks at), but it's doable.
"Do I need to set a static IP on the second nic?" Where is that second NIC getting it's IP address from unless you provide it?

Having the second NIC in your server assumes you are wanting to have one subnet on the computer side and a completely different subnet on the firewall side. Is this right?

I have the same question as cajuntank.... do you need 2 NICs?

We have our edge router manage DHCP and that part (knock on wood) has never given us any trouble.

I've never had to (personally) bridge network connections; so far have avoided that "pleasure", lol.

Is your subnet(s) defined properly? Any surprises when you print ipconfig /all from affected machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back