Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Web edition / no sql?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nell1

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
Hi All,

I have 2 servers running Windows 2003 Web edition. We do not host any public access sites on these servers, only about 5-10 client sites. Now on some of these client sites the Windows Sharepoint services look like they could really help in document/project collaboration etc..

Now I have just discovered that in order to run Sharepoint services on the 2003 Web edition I will need the FULL SQL version! Is there anyway that I could run maybe on the Express SQL version or with another DB like MySQL?

I really begrudge forking out for a full version of SQL/as well as the machine resource drain, when all I want to do is run a couple of virtual servers for clients, especially when I could run them on a standard or SBS version of Windows Server.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Nell1

Reading you post you say that you have the choice of running SBS server 2003. That edition of server 2003 comes with Sharepoint and the SQL software to run it.

I have SBS 2003 running for myself and a few clients and it works great.

HTH

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Hi Beowulf005,

We will be running SBS2003 on our local box, however we wnat the Sharepoint services to run on our remote servers that currently run Win 2003 Web Edition. The reason for this is bandwith. Our office connection is v slow, the connection to the remote servers is much faster.

Nell1

Have you tried SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition? The licensing limits you to 'development' scenarios but if you're not hosting any public sites, you might still be compliant. It costs something like $50.

Sorry I didn't elaborate more...it has the same functionality as a full version of SQL Server. Only the license terms are different.

Elsenorjose,

The site would be for the use of clients, so license wise I don't know if that would come under public. Will have to check out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Nell

Can`t install SQL server on web edition.

You`d need to run sql 2005 express and I can`t remember if it`s embedded in the web edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back