Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Terminal Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimSchoenen

IS-IT--Management
Jun 26, 2003
US
I've installed a Windows 2003 Terminal Services on a Windows 2000 domain and the License Server is running on the 2003 server. When a user logs into the Terminal Server, no licenses are issued. The License Sever is activated. Any ideas?

I think that if you are connection from a Win2K or XP client, no licenses will be consumed because you already paid for the CAL...

Can anyone confirm this ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
How can I believe in God when just last week I got my tongue caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you purchased win2k or win Xp before 2003 server was released you dont need to buy a CAL for that machine, that may be why it isnt issusing a license.

Hi!

I discovered a few thing the past week. I had to reinstall the License server in enterprise mode for the terminal server , modify the registry for the preferred license server, and identify the Terminal License Server in the Terminal Server Computers local group. And after more detailed reading of the 2003 Terminal Server Licensing, even though install the TS User Cal on the license server, there is no method of assigning TS User Cal Tokens to an user's account. So everything looks like its working.

Jim, I am curious about a couple of things since you have done this already. We have a 2000 domain and are toying with putting 2003 TS servers in place of teh existing 2000 TS servers. WE do not want to upgrade the DC however to 2003 due to schema changes and the unknown effects to AD as a whole. Where did you install the 2003 license server, ona member or on the TS box itself?

It doesn't matter where you install the license server (as long as it's a 2003 server) but if it's not on the Terminal Server you need to add a registry key which specifies the license server by name.

try this

HKLM\System\Currentcontrolset\services\terminalservice\parameters
REG_SZ value
DefaultLicenseServer =licenseservername.yourcompany.com

Hi!

What OS is the user using? As far as I am aware if it is XP, W2K3 Server or W2K of any kind, the license is built in so there would be no need for the licensing server to issue one.

Yeah, so goes the confusion... I've read so many conflicting stories on this licensing issue with W2k3. Judging by the numbers, more statements suggest that you NEED to buy licenses now for all OSes; that W2k, XP are no longer supported under the licensing as was the case for w2k.

I sure wish it would state that in one place on the MS site. Other W2K3 links on the MS site still reference the licensing for w2k ts. But if you dig deeper you find some licensing docs for w2k3 ts that state otherwise.

confused by this? Yah, me too... I've been reading my eyes out trying to get a grasp on this. and +I'm still confused.

you have to buy licenses for 2003 server no matter what the client OS...

Is it correct that you need to purchase both TS CALs and regular User CALs or is a user CAL "included" with the TS CAL?

My Server 2003 came with 5 client licenses, which I learned are not for TS, but just to allow 5 users acces to the box. So it is my understnading that to set it up as a TS box I would need both a TS license and a regualr CAL in order for folks to log into my machine. Is this true?

Also where is the best place to get these licenses from?

Thanks,
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back