Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 taking a long time to log off and logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

imarine

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2006
AU
Told my server to reboot and it appears to still be trying, but has been going for 1:30 so far!!! The scroll bar is still moving.

When logging on it is the same issue. There are no roaming profiles used either, so its not that.

You don't mention the purpose of the server (domain controller, file & print, application, etc).

The first thing that comes to mind is that the DNS configured on that server is not pointing to the AD DNS server (which may be itself).

Also, if you're running Exchange on a Domain Controller, shutdowns take a LOT longer. But not THAT long!

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Is that server a Global Catalog? If not it may have a hard time finding a Global Catolog server to authenticate your account. Is all your servers local to you?

Which can go back to what 58sniper was stating, possible DNS issues.

If Exchange server is installed on the DC (Win srv 2003),

this is a known problem recognise by Microsoft.

You have to set the timeout or run some script to stop exchange server bifore AD, as explained:

I hope these will be helpful...

after finally coming back to life and hunting through the event log for possible reasons I found that it is reporting an imminent failure on one of the hard disks. I think it is one of the 2 in raid 1 for the primary OS drive. I think this may be either the problem or contributing to it signifigantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back