Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Servers And Subnetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparikh80

Technical User
Apr 20, 2006
US
I dont know this is the right forum, but I am going to give it a shot anyways.
I am running a forest of all 2003 servers. I need to create a new forest for my Sand environment, somewhere just to play around. Since it does need internet and we only have one t1 my plan was to cretea new forest, and do subnets. I have created the AD fro the new forest and a different IP schema. (My First is 10.10.20.xxx subnet 255.255.254.0) my new one is (10.10.10.xxx subnet 255.255.255.0) now my questions is since I have created two subnets, if i hook them on the saem physical network will I have problems. All the servers for my sand environment are set to recieve everything from that AD. if i need to add workstations to Sand if i pu tthem on that domain will they get DHCP from my original domain or the Sandjet domain?
Please help.

Since DHCP requests are broadcasts, your networks won't really be separate unless they are really on separate networks, separated by a router. Otherwise you won't be able to control which clients pull addresses from which DHCP server, unless you have reservations on both DHCP servers, which would be a big pain. If the two networks are separated by a router, then you can have two different DHCP servers running. Once the systems are addressed, there's not really a problem with the AD being in an overlapping broadcast space, so if you used static addresses for Sandjet network, you wouldn't need a separate routed network.

What I would try to do is use static addresses for Sandjet and bind an extra IP address (10.10.10.X) to the device that is currently the default gateway for your existing domain/network and make the same device the default gateway for both networks.

ShackDaddy

I do not know how to create a DHCP Relay. I am confused how VLANS work, do they work off the same IP range but different Subnets? Is that possible?

i'm not completely sure but i think it is simple to set up, control panel - add/remove programs - add/remove windows components - networking services - dhcprelay. google it

You set up a dhcp relay agent in routing and remote access

Look guys, aparikh80 didn't say anything about VLANs. His question was about having two logical subnets sharing the same physical/datalink layer. All addressed IP traffic will be fine, but things that broadcast in an unaddressed way, ie, not layer 3 (?), will be problematic. DHCP-relay won't help us because in the scenario he painted, there's no need to relay: any client requesting a DHCP address will be broadcasting to all the hosts in both logical subnets.

But if you are going to be conducting some serious traffic in the sandjet network, you might want to use VLANs to segment your network, and then you would want to set up a DHCP-relay. Or bind both VLANS to the switch port that your DHCP server is listening on and bind an extra IP (from the sandjet range) to that server's adapter. Then create a new scope on the server for that subnet.

ShackDaddy

aparikh80 --
ShackDaddy is right. To get DHCP functioning on your sandjet domain, you need to separate your broadcast domains. Since you don't really seem familiar with switching, I would suggest setting up a Windows RRAS box with 2 network cards in it to act as a router. On one side you will connect to your normal production switch. On the other side you will connect a different non-production switch or hub. Then connect all of your sandjet devices to the non-prod switch.

PSC

Governments and corporations need people like you and me. We are samurai. The keyboard cowboys. And all those other people out there who have no idea what's going on are the cattle. Mooo! --Mr. The Plague, from the movie "Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back