Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Server Overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLLOYD

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2001
GB
Hi everyone - My Clients NT 4.0 Server finally went pop on him @ the weekend and is now looking to upgrade to Win2K3 Server. Do you think that this will be an overkill for an office with no more than 5 PC users, 2 Printers and web browsing facilities? If so what would anyone advise would be best practice, and low administration for in-house users, and finally a workgroup or domain environment.

Thanks in advance

You'll need AD in 2003, but honestly the setup wizards are so simple you won't have a problem. You just define roles for the server (PDC, DHCP, DNS, etc) and it holds your hand while you go.

Keep it simple.

(I happen to think it's overkill for 5 users, but this IS the Win2k3 forum so...)

I don't think it's overkill. As long as it's not being used as a mail server or holding large databases. I think it'll be fine. I would monitor it for the first few weeks and check the processes and performance, just to be sure it's holding up. It sounds like the server is real basic. You just need to be sure you have good hardware. And update your BIOS as well as patch all software.

Zilantyas
Professional Information Technology Solutions

Thanks for everyone's input - I have evaluateed SBS 2000 and will be opting for this solution.

Greatly Appreciated. [2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back