Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 server onto a Dell Poweredge 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 26, 2001
GB
Has anyone tried to install Windows 2003 server onto a Dell Poweredge 2500 server?
I am currently trying to do this but at the point when the Windows screen should appear in the setup and goes through all the windows settings a blue screen appears saying that Windows should be shut down to protect the computer. Even safe mode does not work.
When I spoke to Dell the first person gave me a list of all the latest flashes, patches, and upgrades for bios, SCSCI, firmware etc. This did not work and I also tried disconnecting the network card and the tape incase there was any conflicts. This did not make any difference.
I then spoke to someone else at Dell and they said that although there are Windows 2003 drivers available for this server it has never been tested by Dell and therefore was not properly supported.
Any help would be great

You don't happen to have a something hooked to the USB do you? I noticed that Dell has some warnings about this, but didn't go into great detail. The 2500 that I have running Win2k3 was a clean install, with nothing special on it. It worked just fine. I had to create an unattended install, but it worked....Have you tried using a "new" Server assistant disk?

There is nothing attached to the USB port.
I have tried a clean install, an install via the Dell disk, and also upgrading from 2000 server. As far as I know the assistant disk is up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back