Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2003 server NLB question

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
Hello,

I understand the principal of NLB(network load balancing) and how to set it up. My question is: How does this work with programs? Meaning if there's an app installed on one server, do you have to install it on both or does the NLB do it or does NLB not provide fault tolerance for programs?

Also, if there's already a 10 CL license for one of the NLB servers, is another required?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

From my experience, you have to ask the vendor that question. Some application work in an NLB eviroment and some do not...
If the application is supported, vendor has always provided me with setup instructions.

ok, let's say the app is supported, whats general setup procedure? Which leads back to my original question, how do you install it?

Licenses?

Its not really difficult to install, its a lot more straight forward than the MS documentation makes it seem. If you have at least two servers with two nic's each, just set up your static ip addresses like you normally would. Then startup the NLB manager, its installed automatically on any 2003 server i think. Add a "cluster" add the two servers nics that you want to be part of the nlb cluster and you're up and running. I set up NLB yesterday and it was pretty much that simple. Had to reboot a couple of times and it took a while for the cluster to "converge" but once it came up it was working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back