Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 server licensing issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperman

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
Hello,

We have a windows 2003 server that is also a terminal server(in application mode). We have 15 terminal client access licenses(open licenses per user). I have changed the server from 'per server' to 'per user/device' but the server still issues temporary licenses to all who connect and it never touches the 15 licenses we have. The terminal server licensing is activated and the 15 licenses have been activated. It shows we have them but everyone always gets a temporary license. Even new systems and/or users who connect for the first time still get a temporary license. I'm baffled. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Jay

First let me clear up a few things for you. Terminal server licensing is different than windows 2003 licensing. Changing the way the server is licensed does not change the way TS is licensed they are separate animals. TS can be licensed 2 ways, per device and per user, you can see how the TS is licensed by going into the Terminal Services Configuration snapin, under server settings you see the option to change to per user or per device, make sure that is set accordingly. There is a difference with license tracking between the 2 license types, per device will track and issue tokens that you can see in the Terminal Services Licensing snapin, per user will not visibly show that TS tokens have been issued. Per device licenses will show as temp licenses until they login for a second time at which time they get issued a permanent license.

RoadKi11

You are welcome, glad I could help. Microsoft licensing is one of the most complicated and perplexing issues facing modern man/women. If the Microsoft license model is ever figured out or solved I am convinced it could result in world peace. Perhaps this is why it’s so elusive to us mere mortals.

RoadKi11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back