Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Server and Office 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum818

Technical User
Jan 2, 2005
US
Hey guys, another questions that has been really trobuling me.

Windows 2000 Server and Office XP
Folder on server is mapped to workstation with Delete premission taken away from the user. User tries to save their work on shared drive, Save fails. Why? Because Word, Excel, etc. create a temp file during saving and need to delete to Complete save procedure, but since delete premission are taken away no one can save.

Windows 2003 Server and Office 2003
Same secnerio but Word has no problem with saving even though it cant delete the temp file, no errors everything is good. BUT Excel wont let you save, Right when you clikc save it saves it and tries to save it again then asks should it replace file, if u say yes it gives a read only error, you click no. the file becomes corrupt. I NEED HELP PLEASE. I have been asking hundreds of people but still no answer. I want people to save their work on the server but no one to be able to delete anything. Anyone???!?!?

I just found this article: it says that if you dont have delete premissions you cant SAVE?!?!?! WTF what if i dont want people deleteing other peoples work wheater on purpose or on accidnet, or an employee deleteing their work to harm the company? Please anyone any solutions?!?!?

Only thing I can find is:

When Microsoft Excel saves a file, it first saves the file to a temporary file in the destination directory. If Microsoft Excel successfully saves the temporary file, the file is then renamed to the file name you specify in the Save As dialog box. Microsoft Excel uses this method of saving files in order to preserve the original contents of the file as a backup should the save operation fail.

Which is the offical word from Microsoft. (KB157115 but only applies for Excel 95 and 97!)

I'm on non-networked XP machines at the moment and my TS is down, but just a throught - there isn't an option in Excel to prevent the generation of temp files is there? E.G preveting pre-save, recovery etc?

I've emailed this to a MS Office Support guy and I'll post back if he comes up with anything.

Cheers,

Steve.

switch to openoffice.....
:)
joking, no sorry havent got a clue...

Restricted permissions
When you save an Excel file to a network drive, you must have the following permissions to the folder where you are saving the file:
• Read permissions
• Write permissions
• Rename permissions
• Delete permissions
Note If you do not have these permissions, the Excel save process cannot be completed.

unbelievable..... it IS a bit outrageous!!!

Aftertaf (david)

I competely agree. Although I can understand the reasoning behind it. Can the temp saving not be turned off somehow?

Obviously MS never thought that admins may have shares that users do not have permission to delete files! - Incredible.

Steve.

thanx guy, if you find out anything else please let me know.

Steve, By any chance has the MS office support guy said anything yet? I am getting desperate!! :(

Can't you give the user "owner" permissions for any file they've created? Wouldn't this also limit their ability to delete other users files?

If your perms are set right only creator/owner and sysadmins can delete files. If you don't want to lose stuff deleted by a pissed off employee (i.e. deleting their own files) just back them up every so often and you can restore from there if they do delete them.

IMO, if you need to worry about people deleting their own files to harm the company you need to hire someone else :)

Marty
Network Admin
Hilliard Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back