Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 R2 adprep command help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

imarine

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2006
AU
Hi all,

I've just got a new server with 2003 R2. The plan is to replace our existing 2003 DC with this one.

When I try and run the adprep command from the CD on the R2 server I get the message that it needs to be a domain controller. Vicious circle because it wont allow me to dcpromo it until it has had the adprep command executed.

Should I be running the adprep /forestprep from the R2 CD on the existing 2003 Server DC, not the new R2 server?

Alternatively, does anyone have any steps for doing this already? ie. 2003 Server DC upgrade onto another machine with 2003 R2. I want to dcpromo it and let it replicate for a few days, then transfer FSMO roles.

Thanks in advance

Yes - run the adprep (the one on the SECOND R2 disk - NOT THE FIRST) on your existing schema master.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

I figured that must be how it was meant to happen.

Is running this on a current DC likely to cause any problems? Does it require a reboot? Will things stop working until I have completed the upgrade on the new server to R2?

Cheers

It does not require a reboot, and shouldn't cause any problems. I recommend running them from a command prompt, and not the RUN command - that way you can read what it says at the end.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back