Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 -- Print Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorex

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2004
US
Hi all,

I want to share a printer on a domain. I'm running Win2003 with SP1 and two XP Pro with SP2 workstation.

My printer is connected to one of the workstation. I shared the printer and it is listed in the directory. I can install the printer without problems from the other workstation. The problem arises when I send a 'Test Page'. Immediately I get this 'Test page failed you want to tshoot' dialog box. If I clicked on 'Yes' it will launch the 'Help & Support' and clicking 'No' will close it.

The question is, am I setting up the print sharing right? Do I need to setup something else on the server?

Please advise.

Thanks.

zorex

If your clients connects to your printer by \\workstation\printername, then you have configured the printer sharing as it should be. But you can not use the Windows 2003 server as print-server for this printer. If you want to use your server as print-server, then you need to reach the printer by TCP-IP ... in other words you need a printer with its own network interface (or alternatively you need to connect it directly to your servers com/usb port).

Tuliphead,

Thank you for your response.

I shared this printer previously in a Netware environment and everything was fine. I just switched to Win2003 and very disappointed on how it handles print sharing.

I tried connecting the printer directly to the server and I'm still having the same problem. I tried installing the printer from different machines that haven't join the domain yet and still have the same issue. The printer will install fine and I could even run the maintenance utilities but can't print from any applications.

I also tried setting up the 'Web Printing (aka ipp) and still have the same issue. I think it is the printer itself. It is probably not supported to work on printer sharing. The printer is Canon S900, a usb printer.

I will try to get a print server (like the D-Link Print Server) and see what will happen.

If that last try failed again, I will setup a Netware server just for printing. I have worked with Netware for 10 years and never had this issue when setting up printers. It's too bad, Netware will be dead pretty soon and the alternative, Linux, has too much overhead.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

zorex

Some check-points:
1) You said you have connected your Canon printer to your Windows 2003 server by the USB-interface? Yes/No
2) If so, did you manage to install the printer locally on the Windows 2003 server and print out a test-page locally (from the server console)? Yes/No
3) If you could not print a test-page, then it seems to be a driver-problem of some kind. Also check that the printer is mapped to the USB port and not another (wrong) type of printerport.
4) If you could print a test-page locally from the server console, are your clients able to connect to the printer from the network? \\windows2003servername\printersharedname ? Yes/No
If they can´t, check a) that they can ping the servername by ipadress/wins/dns (or in other words that they somehow have a working network connection to the 2003 server), and b) that the users have the minimum permissions necessary to connect to the printer (the users/groups that should connect to and use the shared printer need the "print" permisson as a minimum.)

Try to run through this list and give me some feedback how it goes :)

My answers below.

1. I was able to connect the Canon printer to my Win2003 server through USB.

2. I was able to print out a test page from the server console.

3. The driver was my first clue that may be causing the problem. I went to Canon web site and the latest driver they had was created 2/2004. It is the same version I'm using. I even tried installing the driver from the cd that it came with. The printer is mapped to USB001 port and that matched the configuration they mentioned on their troubleshooting as well.

4. I was able to print a test page from the server console, and my clients were able to connect to the printer from the network. I know my clients were connected because I could send the 'Maintenance' program to run. Also, it updates the status to offline if I turn off the printer. I just can't print to it from any clients.

I will buy a print server tonight and see how it works.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Well, I bought different print servers from Linksys, D-link, and Netgear. And I still have the same problem.

I tried re-installing the other client that is connecting to the print share and it didn't solve the problem. I also tried to install the printer from another client that never joined the domain and still have the same problem.

I haven't tried re-installing XP on the machine that is sharing the printer. I think the GPO policy may be blocking the print sharing. I checked and re-applied the permission to the appropriate groups and users.

What could I check in the policy to make sure it is not blocking the print sharing?

Any ideas?

Please advise.

Thanks.
zorex

If I understand you correct, you have done the following:
-> Installed, shared and printed to your Canon USB printer to/from your windows 2003 server (printing successfully both from the network and from console).
-> Tried to do the same from the windows xp machine where it was originally shared, with no success.
-> Successfully managed to print from console on the XP-machine, but no printjobs from the network is executed.
-> If you suspect a policy issue, you could use the RSOP utility (Resultant Set Of Policy) to make a report of the resulting set of policies that are applied to the XP computer. Right click your domain in the ADuC-snapin and choose all tasks -> RSOP. Follow the instructions of the wizard further on ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back