Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 Master Slave Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

josboogz

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
GB
Hi All,

I am trying to run 2 Windows 2003 Servers which are used as domain controllers in a Master/Slave configuration. I.e. One Server running as the Principle Domain Controller and the other with the same setup and replicates any changes that occur to the principle. The Slave Server should then take over if the first Server fails for any reason. It would then be ideal if the previous Master would then return to be a slave when it is back up and running.

I am a little new to Server technology, so is this feasible? and if so what is fundamental to the setup?

Thanks,

Jos

When you have multiple Windows 2003 domain controller, assuming configuration is the same (both are Global Catalogs, both have DNS, etc), then they both function fairly equally. Both can (and will) handle authentication related tasks.

There are five roles, called FSMO roles, that can only be configured on one (for each role). If the holder of those roles goes down, you'd have to manually switch the roles if the server was NEVER coming back up.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: The Complete Reference

Thanks Pat, that helps alot.

If a server goes down and then is restarted would it automatically replicate all data that was lost during down-time (ignoring any FSMO related role issues and providing configuration is identical on all DCs)?

Yes, the DC's will automatically sync up on a regular interval. So if one is rebooted and changes occur to the AD, when the server comes back up it will receive the updated information for the AD from the other DC.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

But if a DC is down for too long (like months) the changes won't replicate back it will give you an error about the connfiguration is too old.

The default tombstone period for 2003 SP1 is 180 days...60 days for everything prior.

Anyone know the length of time between the automatic sync updates?

Default is 60 minutes.

You're allowed to use Google to look for these simple issues.

Anyone know the length of time between the automatic sync updates?

Do you mean sync updates as in when you create a user how long until that user object is replicated to the other server??

If so then the default for intrasite replication is 15 seconds.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCTS:Active Directory
MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back