Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 - Instant Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmando1

Technical User
Jul 11, 2005
GB
Can anyone help?

I am not using Active Directory or Exchange and wondered if there is a instant messaging service so that internal users can communicate with each other.

At the moment people email out which is silly when they can be in the same office!

TIA

in ex2000, there is IM service, it's removed via ex2003, Microsoft put IM into Live communication server 2005.

---------------------------------------
Sr. Directory Services/Exchange Consultant

thanks but unforuntately I am not using exchange, just Windows 2003 Server

If you are using no AD then i guess server isnt governing user profiles and things, unless you are using nouvell or some crap like that.

You can get away with MSN messenger, although you will need to register each user with a .net passport.

This will take some time if your doing it for alot of systems, also people will be able to use this to communicate with external sources ... i.e. friends and family ... its a nightmare for security reasons too.

thread779-1075637 has some good suggestions including QuickMessenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back