Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 extend Boot partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearlyshells

Technical User
Oct 8, 2010
US
I have a Windows 2003 server with a single hard drive. It has a utility partition, C (boot partition) and D data partition.

I need to expand my C drive. my D drive is 400Gb and only has 23gb used. I'd like to release about 10GB from my D drive then make it accessible to my C drive and extend my C drive

Is that possible? How?

You can use partitioning software to do this. You might take the opportunity to buy a new hard drive and clone the original over to the new and adjust partition sizes at that time. Why?? The risk of partitioning is always there - small but real. That way you would have your original HDD unmolested. Plus, you get a new hard drive in the server since it's probably getting old.

Partition magic server
Acronis Disk Director
Paragon Partition Manager
Gparted

You realize that running a single hard drive in a server is not a good idea and not best practice. Single point of failure. I have a procedure if you want it to migrate (clone) to a RAID controller with RAID 1 (two new hard drives) without having to reload. Your rear end is hanging out with only one drive.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

You can try Dell's EXTPART tool which is highly recommended for these situations but as always "buyer beware" as goombawaho stated you're in dangerous territory if you are relying on one disk for a production host.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back