Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2003 display settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

remychopp

Technical User
Jun 14, 2004
US
Hi everyone,

Im having a weird issue with one of my 2003 servers. I installed a new drive in the server and it seemed to have corrupted my video drivers. My display is showing at 8 bit resolution. The odd thing is that on my display properties it is showing as 32bit colors and the resolution is 1280x1024. From my past experiences, the display will revert to 640x480 when your drivers become corrupt. Here is what I have done so far to try and rectify the problem: I installed the latest drivers for my video card, I swapped video cards and made sure both were working on another machine. I unplugged the newly installed drive, I've logged on as another user to make sure it is not an issue with the profile, I ran a sfc /scannow and ive rebooted a bunch of times. I have no idea what the issue might be and I am hoping someone here has seen this before. Again the resolution on the screen is 1280x1024 but the colors are way off. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

if you just remove the display adapter in your hardware and reboot, it should detect the hardware again and install a standard driver.

lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

I uninstalled the video card, rebooted and allowed Windows to reinstall the video card, but the display settings are still messed up. Thanks for the reply. Any other suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions at all??? I really dont want to have to rebuild this server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What I did to resolve my issue was run a repair of windows 2003 server. Just pop in the cd and boot off of it. You'll have to reinstall all of the updates but I didnt loose any settings or files. Has been working great for a while now.

Thanks.
Will try a repair asap, the customer possibly won't be happy with the downtime tho!!

If downtime is a concern then why even bother fixing it? Realistically how often do you access the console? Does a Terminal Service/RDP session have the same problem?
Is it really worth the aggravation if the server is functioning in every other regard?

rdp session had the same problem in my case. It was almost impossible to work on the box, so I had no choice but to have the issue resolved.

Hello Everyone,

I am having problems as indicated in this thread. If I run the repair CD, will that destroy active directory, exchange server, web services? The box I have has these service running on it.

Thanks for the help.

I had all of those services running also. Just do a backup of the system state and make sure your priv is backed up. I ran the repair with no problem. Didnt loose anything except for the windows updates.

Thanks remychopp!!

Also, I just found out today that the root cause of the problem might be security update KB 896424 (graphics rendering). I am going to uninstall the update and see if that returns the video back to normal. I will post what happened tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back