Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2003 cluster disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc305

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2005
US
Hi,
I'm currently running windows 2003 with an active/passive cluster. Which is currently connected to an MSA storage device via fiber cables. I currently have sql database located on MSA logical for ex. the g:drive. The G drive is running out of space. I currently installed a much bigger Logical array.
The cluster is pointing to the G drive on the MSA. I would like to backup up all the data from the G drive and restore it onto the new logical array of drives. I would to delete the orginal G drive and make the newer logical drive G. Do I have to worry about the cluster and possible disk signatures. The quorum also resides on the MSA storage on a different drive letter. I would really not like to touch the cluster at all. Hope I explained this clearly enough. Any help would be appreciated.

hi,
are you able on the SAN to enlarge the LV ?
If yes, there is a note of MS about how to correctly
resize disk in Cluster Environment.

If you cannot or prefere copy data to other LUN
(probably in another Array), I suggest to create a new
partition on this LUN, assign a letter X: (on both nodes),
then create a cluster resource (X:), and a test-cluster group: verify failover. Destroy test group and insert X: PhysicalDisk-resource in the SQL group. Verify failover.

At this point you have to choose if swap letter, copy files,
but I believe that something (cluster or nodes) will hang.
(you have to change letter in both server an change cluster resource... too difficult).

I suggest to detach DB, copy mdb,ldb to new X: location
and attach your DB from X location. From now your db will stay on X: partition on a X-PhysicalDiskREsource: what does change ?

bye
vic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back